Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 07-28-2005, 07:12 PM

Default Re: HOW DO YOU PREVENT TILTING

Smoking pot might keep you off tilt, but would likely not improve your poker playing.

Seriously, there is great advice in this thread about taking the long view, understanding/appreciating variance etc. Sklansky says to look at poker as one long game; individual sessions or hands do not matter. What matters is making decisions with the highest expectation. Place value on making good decisions not results. The results will take care of themsleves. This is much easier said than done and I struggle with it also (being Italian/German/Irish).
Old 07-31-2005, 06:18 AM

Wow I think you guys cured me. I just lost a 111 dollar pot in a NL 25 game where one guy called my pot size bets with my pocket queens on all streets only to river a 6. I wasn't even mad I just laughed it off I found it kind of humorous. Instead of tilting I continued to play solid poker and won all that money back plus some. Thank you guys, IM CUREDDDDD.
Old 07-31-2005, 08:46 AM

Win x amount of money so that when you lose x amount of money you will not experience distraught.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:49 AM

Funny, bad beats usually don't send me on tilt. I am more prone to tilt when fold in a marginal call/fold situation and it turns out that I would have won a monster pot. For example, I was playing a STT, and I folded a small pocket pair in a raised pot. Turned out that I would've flopped quads, and the person who evenntually won the hand had flopped a full house. That kind of siutation is more likely to send me on tilt than if I had flopped a full house and lost to quads.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:06 AM

I am new to poker, and after doing a lot of studying through reading TOP, ITH, the forums etc I had an 80% ROI from playing $2.50 SNG's. Then I had a really bad run, all through lack of discipline, I was acting impulsively, chasing hands etc. I went 7 SNG's without winning.

I decided to let the bar run down to the end every time I had to make a decision, or else count to ten, essentially taking as much time to make a decision as possible, thus eliminating any rash moves. I made 2nd in my last 2 SNG's and the bad run seems to be over. I also found my confidence being affected also had a big effect.

Trev
Old 07-31-2005, 11:18 AM

Default SIT UP STRAIGHT

while playing.
Old 07-31-2005, 03:37 PM

play limit poker
Old 07-31-2005, 03:51 PM

if its online, even tho I dont tilt much, I would stop for a bit and watch some TV or a movie
Old 07-31-2005, 04:13 PM

How do I prevent tilting? .... Gyroscope.
Old 07-31-2005, 07:23 PM

As soon as you feel yourself tilting, force yourself to stop playing. If you're getting so worked up that you can't control your play, you need to give yourself a time-out.