Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2005, 03:46 PM

Default Re: Following my Favourite Fish (off topic)

As long as you aren't saying anything to him about it or berating him, then there is nothing wrong with it.

He chose to deposit money on the site and he is playing willingly. Caveat emptor, pal.

If I had a fish like that, I would try to sit with him everywhere I can. People like this just give their money away, and it's great. They may have a clue that they are taking the worst of it, but they don't care. They're playing for entertainment.
Old 05-26-2005, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

How's this different than looking for a high VPIP table?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't play this game very long (less than 6 months [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]) but I think that after you have read all the books and all the 2+2 threads, there is only one way to improve your game. Play against good players. This is not the most profitable but when you are doing your fisrt steps you care less about maximising your profits (you won't make a fortune in 0.5/1) and more about getting better.

And of course you still look for high VPIP tables most of the times but you shouldnt avoid the challenge of sometimes playing better opponents and at higher stakes.
My initial complaint was about the style of chasing the "idiot" and trying to befriend him etc. Let's stay focused on the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Increasing your $ > Increasing your skill [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-26-2005, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the idea of pretending to be his friend to get his money reminds this poster of a prostitute. In a sense it is very similar.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm not saying pretend to be his friend. i AM merely suggesting that if you're gonna follow the guy around, you might as well be nice to him, talk to him like "hey nice to see you again" or something like that. if he doesn't talk back, fine don't talk. but i see nothing wrong with having a conversation with someone who has a similar interest in a game.

second, trying to compare playing poker with someone who isn't any good to prostitution is foolish. you can't even begin to look at the 2 in the same light....why am i even posting this long on this thread???

just play the guy. you think differently? fine. you can do that. enjoy yourself.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:01 PM

Is it ethical? I guess it's the difference between being a competitor and a hustler.

A competitor is looking to be the best at what they do and seek out people of equal or greater ability and try to beat them.

A hustler is looking to take advantage of people who aren't as good as them, but are under the misguided notion that they're on equal footing skill-wise.

There's no reason you can't be both, but you have to admit that everyone here who spends their time crushing the microlimits is a hustler. Someone who follows a fish around is a hustler.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

How's this different than looking for a high VPIP table?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't play this game very long (less than 6 months [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]) but I think that after you have read all the books and all the 2+2 threads, there is only one way to improve your game. Play against good players. This is not the most profitable but when you are doing your fisrt steps you care less about maximising your profits (you won't make a fortune in 0.5/1) and more about getting better.

And of course you still look for high VPIP tables most of the times but you shouldnt avoid the challenge of sometimes playing better opponents and at higher stakes.
My initial complaint was about the style of chasing the "idiot" and trying to befriend him etc. Let's stay focused on the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really think playing at .50 1. will expose you to high levels of play that will allow you to improve your game so much that you will become a great highstakes poker player?

A lot of the players are playing to build thier bankroll. Which means you must find games that are profitable. If you want to learn how to beat High stakes, you must play High stakes. You will not learn much on how to beat high stakes from playing the low limits IMO, so you might as well learn how to beat bad players and increase your BR so you can start playing Higher Stakes and learn.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:02 PM

Hint: Get an account on all party skins, that way you can stalk with 6 different names, he'll NEVER pick it up.. He night notice if 'k000k' keeps taking all his $$ day after day, but not if k000k takes some one day, and puker44 takes it the next day, fr1zzlefry takes it the next day, etc...
Old 05-26-2005, 04:14 PM

Wow, this thread went in some strange directions. Prostitution .... never would have picked that one.

One point needs to be cleared up. I don't feel bad at all about following him around. The last thing I want to do is play against strong players. The last time I did that was when I organised the "real game" micro table and dropped almost 50BB. Eek.
No, my point was, how do I stop him from catching on? Just after I posted this thread he timed out, (his connection is pretty bad, that's how well I know this guy), and 5 minutes later he left. 15 minutes later he's on another table with a 75BB buy in. I was itching, I was desperate, I was a junkie with my fix sitting staring me in the face.....

Should I have followed him that soon? This isn't a question of ethics, this is a question of losing my breadroll provider. I don't want to open a whole bunch of party skin accounts as they've just changed their rules and specified that this is naughty, and while I'm not one for following rules I don't feel like running the risk of being banned from party for the sake of this fish.

Poker just keeps getting more complicated it seems.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:20 PM

I have been in this situation on the other end. When I was starting out playing $0.25/$0.50 @ PS I noticed the same guy coming to my table very often. He almost alway re-raised my raises and played aggressively toward me. I had a note on him that just told me not to play with him.

I'm pretty sure he had PT and had a good read on my passive postflop play. Since then, I got PT, read SSHE, and have moved on/up. I've played with him since then, (he's still at $0.25/$0.50), and I haven't had any problems. I'm glad he kept killing me. It opened up my eyes to stronger play and made me stronger.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One point needs to be cleared up. I don't feel bad at all about following him around. No, my point was, how do I stop him from catching on?

I don't want to open a whole bunch of party skin accounts as they've just changed their rules and specified that this is naughty

[/ QUOTE ]

Good, dont feel bad. I wouldn't, ever. What I said is the best way, he'll never even know it's you! And since when can't you open an account on more than one skin? Did they post something on their site, or T&C? Why would they care? So long as you generate more rake than the bonus/rakeback they give you, it's +EV for them to let you have acct's everywhere. I've even had tech support refer for my 'party and empire and pokernow' accounts in the past, they never said a word.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:38 PM

They've changed their rules and regulations. When you log on you'll see the announcement. Normally I don't read rules and regs but I got curious and had a look. Apart from not being allowed to have more than one account on a party skin another intersting new rule is that you can be banned for trash talking party on any forum.