Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2005, 07:23 AM

Default Live $100max 2/3 hand. Am I a maniac??

About 3 hours into the session I have an extremely tight image. Only shown down 3 hands worst one was top 2. 6 handed. Villain is only solid opponent i have encountered. not a very tricky player but solid play. Relevent stacks are as follows.

6 handed
MP1 - about 200
Button (hero)269 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
SB (villain) 450

Action:
Preflop:
Folds to MP1 who limps, Folds to hero on button who makes it 20 togo. Villain Calls in small blind MP1 Calls.

Flop (pot $63)
7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]j [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Villain bets $20, MP1 calls $20, Hero Calls $20

Turn (pot $123)
(7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]j [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img])10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Villain bets $25, MP1 folds, Hero thinks for a minute pushes all-in for $204 on top.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:55 AM

Default Re: Live $100max 2/3 hand. Am I a maniac??

I don't get it. Isn't the rule that to draw to a gutshot straight, you need to be drawing to the nut straight, which you aren't and be drawing on a rainbow board so you don't get redrawn or suckered in when a flush card comes that completes your straight?

You made a bluff raise pre-flop with a terrible hand and got called in two places. Then the flop comes highly coordinated with multiple draws and possibilities of hands. Someone bets out, and you start chasing 4, probably 3 outs? If this is some elaborate bluff you're setting up, good luck getting both players to lay down their hands on this coordinated board. But really it comes down to this....you are getting good odds, but not nearly the 11-1 to peel off a turn card to hit your gutshot straight draw. Since, when you make your straight, the board will be 1 off the straight, so no one is going to be paying off any big bets, so I think this cuts down on your implied odds a lot. Plus, the few times you hit your straight you might chop or be freerolled by a hand like A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Overall, not a very profitable situation. I'd just fold preflop, and definetly fold the flop.

..This hand is pretty fishy....call on the flop with only 4 outs at most, then when you hit your hand you just stick your stack in....very similar how I'd expect a beginner to play this hand, and I'm sure you're not one
Old 11-03-2005, 07:58 AM

Are the words maniac and bad interchangable?
Old 11-03-2005, 08:36 AM

I agree this was terribly played by me preflop and on the flop... I had not seen the villain call a substantial preflop raise without a premium hand so I put him on JJ-AA AK, maybe AQs... given the flop and turn leads AJs and 1010 were other possibilities. The reason I called on the flop was i felt if the 10 came there was a decent chance he would call an overbet push with and overpair or set. I took my chances that he wasnt on a heart draw and considered my 4 outs good. If I push i figure he calls with JJ or 1010 for sure... good chance hell call with QQ-AA. If he was on a heart draw taking it down on the turn isnt so bad cause otherwise if a heart comes on the river and we still have chips I would have a tough descision to make with all that money in the pot. I knew the 10 would give me the best hand and I thought there was a decent chance the implied odds were quite large. As for the preflop raise i wasnt really thinking much just kind of happened... not normal for me.

Villain called my all in and the river was(7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]j [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]) 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

This was certainely an unusual hand for me.... but was my thinking really that far off? (preflop raise aside) BTW MP1 had been calling down to the river with middle pair with a 3 kicker all night long.... the main risk i think i took was ignoring the heart flush possibilities
Old 11-03-2005, 10:03 PM

so whats your line on the turn here.... and river play to a check or sizable bet... the reason i went all in was i felt there was a good chance i would get called by hands that i would want a call and the only hands that fold (trash... or draw) is fine by me if those hands fold... dont want to lose a huge pot to a heart flush and if he had nothing there was probably no more action to be had anyways...

any thoughts... thanks in advance...