Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2005, 02:19 PM

Default Is SS2NL strategy playable at low NL games?

I have just got a copy of SS2 and i have never read SS1.I think the NL strategy that Bruson explains is ultra-agressive and i think it could be too risky at low NL games.Any thought about this subject?
Old 02-10-2005, 02:23 PM

Default Re: Is SS2NL strategy playable at low NL games?

He mentions a lot of good pointers you should keep in mind, but no, most of it is not applicable. Brunson has a lot more folding equity and implied odds than you do. It's still a good read as a whole though.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:27 PM

Doyle specifically states that if playing in a "Smaller Game" You will have a tougher time of it because people will start to move all in on you preflop and on the flop and u will be forced to make tough decisions... No doubt Doyle's philosphy applies more to deeper stacked games. However a lot of his concepts can still be applied to SSNL.
Old 02-10-2005, 05:30 PM

I haven't read SS2's NL section, but I have read the first version a number of times. Some of the things Doyle talks about in SS1 can work pretty well at low states NL. For example, betting the flop after you raise (even when you miss). This works pretty in most games as long your not a loose raiser. I have found betting str8 draws on low card flops in raised pots also works pretty well. I also like the emphasis on picking up smaller pots where possible (or probable) and using this money to freroll (with small pairs and connectors) in some raised pots.

Some places SS1 advice gets you in trouble (especially with uber short stacks at the table). For example you raise with AK in late position and get one MP caller with a short stack. Flop comes 49J. You might be better off checking as shorstack is likely to move in with any pair.

Passion
Old 02-10-2005, 07:09 PM

its all applicable and should be used. he specifically says that you have to showdown good hands against weak players b/c they are not as bluffable.

reading the text makes it sound like he's in every pot. but if you examine his list of trash hands you can acertain that he is in fact tight but ultra aggressive (which is right on the money in low limit games IMO.)

BTW, i've never read SS2, is it much different? cant imagine that it is except that the blind structures are outdated and no online games are mentioned in the first one.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is SS2NL strategy playable at low NL games?

[/ QUOTE ]

no.

SS (1 or 2 as they're essentially the same) strategy requires deep stacks, meaningful money and thinking players, all of which are lacking in the vast majority of SSNL games.

fim

PS/Edit: there are portions of the strategy which are perfectly applicable, but those portions are applicable to all NL holdem games in general regardless of structure/opponents/stakes/table texture.