Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-19-2005, 03:24 AM

Default Re: Attitudes Around Here

Couldn't agree more

One of my earliest posts here asked someone how they were calculating variance. NOT how do you calculate variance. Which because I was a new poster was how it was interpeted as the later by the powers that be.

That individual even felt the need to start a new thread, using my incorrectly read post as an example (with my name included), of why this forum needs a moderator.

1) Being pompous does not make one good at poker. (In fact I would argue having a big ego is a detriment)
2) Having a lot of posts here does not automatically make one good at poker.

Yet the attitude around here seems to be both those things are true.

Then they claim that it's these 'standard' posts that drive away good posters. Yeah right :we need a rolly eye graemlins:

My post:
[ QUOTE ]

People bring up expected values and variance. Curious how you are calculating them.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reply's
[ QUOTE ]
MNPoker,

Will all due respect because I am trying to be nice to a new poster, the purpose of this particular forum is not to spoon feed you the answers to these questions. We know these things from studying theory and from practical experience.

If you want to learn more about variance try the probability forum or read Gambling Theory and Other Topics by Mason Malmuth. For Expected Value see the Theory of Poker by Sklansky or Small Stakes Holdem by Ed Miller.

If you have already read these, then I apologize and suggest that you review them.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
are we the only forum w/o a mod?

......... I could do w/o the MNpoker type posts (have them simply moved to correct forums would be nice) (and sorry to pick on MNpoker in particular but questions about EV and Variance clearly dont belong ehre).

just a thought...meant to help clean up this forum a bit and stop or move inane posts...like this one

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry for the long post.