Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2004, 08:51 AM

Default Who was the worst player at the WSOP final table

The top 4 were clearly good players. No comment is needed on Harrington. Arieh is well established and obviously played well. Raymer was somewhat established and was very impressive. Williams and Arieh removed any doubt about their abilities by both finishing in the top 3 in Connecticut.

Krux has 2 other WSOP ME final table finishes. The CardPlayer article by Glazer was very unflaterring to Matt Dean. Hughes, Anderson, McClain, and Dean are the most unproven of the bunch. Are any of them fishes?
Old 10-03-2004, 09:10 AM

Default Re: Who was the worst player at the WSOP final table

Heh, interesting topic... I will be watching this thread like a hawk.
Old 10-03-2004, 01:07 PM

Probably not Mcclain just cause he's a pro.
Old 10-03-2004, 01:59 PM

Dean. He's only played poker for a year.

His all-in call with jacks preflop with an incredibly deep stack against Murphy's AK was a terrible move. That said, Murphy made an equally stupid play with AK, but the call with JJ was just mind-numbingly bad.

That, and the fact he started the final table 2nd in chips and finished 7th. He was out of his league.

The only other guys I could make arguments for would be Mattias Andersson (youth clouded by acting like a jackass) and Glen Hughes (but only because I've never heard of the guy before, so who knows)
Old 10-03-2004, 02:52 PM

Glenn Hughes record can be found at: http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/play...a=r&n=9855

For what it's worth, here's my ranking of the final table:

1. Harrington
2. Arieh
3. Raymer
4. Krux
5. Hughes
6. McClain
7. Wiliams
8. Dean
9. Andersson

Kevin...
Old 10-03-2004, 06:35 PM

Just to defend Matt a little here, he has 3 TV apperances in tourneys this year.

WSOP 7th(cash 675,00)
WPC/Dublin 2nd in his flight(cash 15,000)
UPC #7 2nd(cash 7,000)

Only Mr. Phillips can claim better record out of everyone posting here. He can't be that bad.
Old 10-03-2004, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
WPC/Dublin 2nd in his flight(cash 15,000)

[/ QUOTE ]

That was my flight too (jeff shulman and I went out on the same hand, 6th/5th, both holding AKs against joe beevers and his QQ.) Matt gets my thumbs-up as a player and a human being.
Old 10-03-2004, 06:47 PM

I knew I had dicussed this hand before on a forum, here is what Matt posted about it when we dicussed hands.

Matt's post.....
"Even though I went out about 3 hands later I guess I'm happy about laying down that hand to Arieh. I sure wish I could have made that read before I raised to 1.1 million though. As for Devil Fish, I received word over the phone that he had talked some trash about the way I played one hand (where I got all in with JJ vs. John Murphy and his AK).
Immediately after I was told that I noticed Devil Fish walking around and went over and put my arm around him. I said, "I heard you didn't like my play with the jacks." He started laughing and said I needed to protect my stack.
We had a good conversation though and when I saw him before the final table he wished me good luck. If I had it to do over again I don't know what I would have done. How many people would have called even if Murphy had flashed his AK? I had put only 1/6th of my stack in the pot (I think??) with JJ and easily could have gotten away from it in okay shape so it's a questionable play for what amounts to basically a coin flip (I know I'm a favorite ). The truth is I had a read that he didn't have Aces or Kings (he said in a interview he had the same read!) and that I thought he could have as low as 7's but most likely AK. I've thought about that hand more than any other hand in the tournament. I'd love to hear any responses."

I will tell Matt to check out the dicussion here.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:23 AM

Default What if Marcel Luske was included?

[ QUOTE ]

For what it's worth, here's my ranking of the final table:

1. Harrington
2. Arieh
3. Raymer
4. Krux
5. Hughes
6. McClain
7. Wiliams
8. Dean
9. Andersson

[/ QUOTE ]

In an interesting side note, where would the final player at the table rank, 10th place finisher Marcel Luske.

I would put him in second place right behind Harrington, but not very far behind. Also I move Williams to 5th place and Hughes to 7th, but other than that I agree with your list.

Rick Diesel
Old 10-04-2004, 01:36 PM

Default Re: What if Marcel Luske was included?

[ QUOTE ]

In an interesting side note, where would the final player at the table rank, 10th place finisher Marcel Luske.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd think he would be either 2nd or 3rd.

Just a side rant..

Why is it that they stop play with 9 left instead of 10? Why then would you stop it at 8 instead of 9. Wouldn't it be better to let all the "final table" participants battle it out refreshed then to let one drop out after playing 13 hours in 1 day.