Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2005, 07:21 PM

Default degree poker in canada: how much editing??

watched degree poker championships last night (friday). on again tonight at 8 pm on TSN here in canada.

pretty interesting, although the commentary seems to miss a few things.... but wondering how much editing there is? they really make it seem like they aren't skipping hands, but they must be because every hand is exciting and often involves "secret" big hands.

anyone have any idea what the ratio of televised to non-televised hands was for these semi-final tables???

i know all all final table poker on TV is edited, but i wish they would just number the hands and tell us. i'd like to know how many hands there were in the interim, especially heads-up. probably wouldn't be a huge number of gaps with 4-5 people as i'd assume there's big action on alot of hands.
Old 09-24-2005, 07:49 PM

Default Re: degree poker in canada: how much editing??

Michael Landsberg's color commentary is only another reason to hate him on top of the dozens of other reasons.

I think the only thing Landsberg ever said other than asking the other commentator how poker works was the constant updates on the status of players' sunglasses. You'd think TSN would at least hire somebody who has played poker before to do the color commentary.

Also, there was this gem: "Player 1 pushes in the small blind with 27o, and Player 2 looks down at AK and calls! Player 1 is in the worst possible position right now!" [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

As far as the editing, I'd say that about 10% of played hands get shown, since working down from 5 or 6 players to 1 is quite a task when you've got only an hour of TV time, minus commercials.
Old 09-24-2005, 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As far as the editing, I'd say that about 10% of played hands get shown, since working down from 5 or 6 players to 1 is quite a task when you've got only an hour of TV time, minus commercials.

[/ QUOTE ]

the color commentator barely knew or cared that the player trailing had a open ended straight draw and two cards to come.

i think there is so much value in hands they don't show... little semi-bluffs, continuation bets and good laydowns are really, really key.
Old 09-24-2005, 08:25 PM

who is the english guy who was with Landsberg doing the commentary?
He didn't seem too intelligent.

And yes, Landsberg is a jackass
Old 09-24-2005, 08:34 PM

why does everybody hate landsberg? although he'd does prob suck in this
Old 09-25-2005, 04:31 AM

I like when they showed K9o as a 78% favourite pre-flop against A5o. They even commented on it: "Joe Schmoe is going to need an ace here!"
Old 09-26-2005, 01:22 PM

"We have another Degree all-in moment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

LMFAO
Old 09-26-2005, 05:41 PM

I just watched that episode. What the hell was that guy talking about?!

I wondered if he was seeing into the future and getting ahead of himself, because a K came on the flop.

This is just terrible poker. You can tell it's one big freeroll. I almost punched the tube in episode one when with, like, 8 people at the table, some donk raise UTG with J8s. And he went on to win the hand!!!

Don't allow your children to watch this. Just terrible.

At least the WSOP broadcasts start on Saturday.
Old 09-26-2005, 06:22 PM

i saw that again today, and i did wonder if the commentator's comments weren't in synch with the play.... my guess is that maybe these guys watch a tape later and commentate (hopefully without knowing the results). seems obvious they aren't right there (and obviously if they were, they'd have to be in sound proof). actually so heavily edited that they must be doing commentary later... and i think maybe it's out of synch. saw that "she needs an ace" or similar comment today and it was completely wrong but then the king fell just a moment later.