Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2005, 11:55 AM

Default I hate JJ

Here's a common dilemna for me and looking for some advice. (Background, I normally play 5/10 6max games and have tried to expand my experience in NLH MTT games.)

It's about 45 minutes into a Party $30 MTT. 600 of the 800 players left and I've got about 1k in chips (average is 1333). I get JJ in middle position and open-raise the 25/50 blinds 3x to 150. Tables been not tight/not loose. Raises will occasionaly take the blinds, other times, 3 or 4 to the flop with the same 3x raise.

My 3x BB raise is called by the button and no one else. Flop comes K72 rainbow. I lead out about T275 into a T375 pot. I think this is a good size bet. I'll let go to a raise, but should scare off (hopefully) QQ/JJ/1010/AQ type hands. Button calls (BTW, no reads).

Now I'm at a loss. I figure I've got to give this hand up if I don't hit a J on the turn. Correct? Ideas?

Turn comes another rag under a J. Am I check folding? Is this hand too good to let go HU?

Thanks for the input!

MyssGuy
Old 07-01-2005, 11:59 AM

Default Re: I hate JJ

It depends on the other player, and how much he bets, but yes, you should probably be check folding the turn a lot.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:04 PM

this situation sucks. there's not much else you can do. I would lead the flop at probably ~200, it will get the point across.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:07 PM

At this point you don't know where you're at...a lot of guys will chase here with middle pair or two overcards. I would bet maybe half the pot to see if the guy is serious about his hand. If reraised big time, I'd have to think about if I want to continue. If he calls and checks I would prob'ly check behind on the river.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:15 PM

I'm betting the turn. If he's got a hand like K10 it's going to make him think about it. He could have 10/10 or 9/9 and he wants to get a line on your play...maybe he thinks you're making a continuation bet. If I'm the villian here, 90% of the time if I see someone raise preflop, bet the flop (and get called), and then check the turn I'm going to bet the turn and put them to a decision.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At this point you don't know where you're at...a lot of guys will chase here with middle pair or two overcards. I would bet maybe half the pot to see if the guy is serious about his hand. If reraised big time, I'd have to think about if I want to continue. If he calls and checks I would prob'ly check behind on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that people will chase. He hasn't shown any aggression. On the turn, the pot is 925 and I've put 425 of my starting 1k in (he had me slightly out chipped, by 200 or so. My options, as I belive, are to check-fold or push my last 575 into a 925 pot. Having committed over 40% of my chips, holding 1/3 the average stack on the turn, do I commit myself to this pot or live to fight another day????
Old 07-01-2005, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm betting the turn. If he's got a hand like K10 it's going to make him think about it. He could have 10/10 or 9/9 and he wants to get a line on your play...maybe he thinks you're making a continuation bet. If I'm the villian here, 90% of the time if I see someone raise preflop, bet the flop (and get called), and then check the turn I'm going to bet the turn and put them to a decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd do the same in his spot.....
Old 07-01-2005, 12:24 PM

So why give him that chance? Bet it. If you get called again, you're probably done. Check the river and hope for a check behind you.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So why give him that chance? Bet it. If you get called again, you're probably done. Check the river and hope for a check behind you.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do I bet here and still give myself chips at the river? 275 again, leaving me 300? He would be getting 5 to 1 to call. I just can't see (but which is also why I'm asking) betting this small on the turn when the villian hasn't left yet on a K high no draw board. Smells like a KQ to me. Decent hand, but possibly afraid of AK?
Old 07-01-2005, 12:41 PM

Hmmm...misread your stack size. Thought it said 2k. Your only bet on the turn that has any meaning would be a push. Tougher decision than I was making it out to be.