Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2004, 04:28 PM

Default help on strange hi-lo structure

I mostly play Hold 'Em, but there's this strange stud game where I play that I've been thinking of learning, and I was wondering what the best approach would be.

It's stud, hi-lo, $1 ante, 2-10 spread through 6th w/2-20 on 7th, and a qualifier on the low(8) _and_ the high(two pair). And apparently, if you scoop, you put 10 back on a button for an auto-raise the next round. They call it the "Hoogey" game. I've been told that the same players have been playing the game for 20 years, they play poorly and push money back and forth week in and week out.

Anyway, I just picked up Ray's Hi-Lo book, and Super System(for Sklansky's hi-lo section), But I feel sure this odd structure will require additional adjustments.

Thanks,
John
Old 08-28-2004, 06:24 PM

Default Re: help on strange hi-lo structure

I guess it'd be like 10/20 double qual stud/8 with a tiny ante...so good implied odds if people aren't betting the max. Probably play loose for the bring-in but tighten up considerably if there's a raise. Lows are the hand to play now, highs are a lot less valuable.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:22 PM

Default the Palms?

Sounds like the Friday night game at the Palms.
If so, it's not really spread limit as everyone
bets the max, and the game is very aggressive,
so be prepared to invest many chips on your low
draws.
Old 08-30-2004, 03:16 PM

Default Re: the Palms?

yep, that's the game. And yep, it's not really spread limit, although I did see one $5 opening in the 45 min or so I watched last friday. But I didn't see that many raises(as far as aggression), and I've been told the game is fairly easy by people I think would know, so I've been thinking about playing especially when one woman walked in last friday and asked for a rules explanation 4 times before sitting down.

-John
Old 08-30-2004, 03:29 PM

Default Re: help on strange hi-lo structure

There is usually an opening raise(to $10) on 3rd, and with no variation in betting size until the end(always $10), implied odds aren't as good as normal. It almost makes me think you choose good starting hands, and auto-call unless something substantial goes wrong in the middle. But that's just an early impression.

since a single pair can no-longer win hi, catching a 9-K locks you into either hi or low (barring a straight or flush), right? how significant is this? hmm... I just need to do a little more thinking about the stud numbers. Party has stud/8 right?

is 10/20 double qualifier a standard game? is anything written on it?

-John