Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2005, 02:39 PM

Default Moving to NL check my line at PS 1/2 with AA

Villain seems fairly solid (read Non-Donkish) although the hand immediately prior I saw him call down good size raises with J8o on a non-scary board with top pair on the button. Truthfully, not enough hands to make a real read yet. He was 2 tabling the 1/2 on Stars. We had comparable stacks, but he had doubled up on the other table. All of that said, was I too aggressive or too passive with my aces? Sorry if this is routine.

PokerStars: Texas Hold'em No Limit ($1/$2) - 2005/10/28 - 12:29:53 (ET)
Seat #5 is the button
SB ($284.20 in chips)
BB HERO ($196.35 in chips)
CO Villain ($229 in chips)
Button ($127.45 in chips)
SB posts small blind $1
HERO posts big blind $2
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to HERO [Ac Ad]
CO raises $6 to $8
2 folds
HERO raises $7 to $15
Villain calls $7
*** FLOP *** [7d Jh Td]
HERO bets $20
Villain raises $194 to $214 and is all-in
HERO ???

1) Smiles at his good fortune,
2) Throws up a little in his mouth, or
3) Gets fitted a new skirt?
Old 10-28-2005, 02:42 PM

Default Re: Moving to NL check my line at PS 1/2 with AA

I reraise preflop to 25-30. He could have QQ and put you on AK and pushed because he doesn't want to see another card.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:47 PM

PF: raise more pre-flop, make it $24 to go.

Flop: Yuck. Realistically he can do this with a tonne of hands though such a big overbet seems to say "dont call me".

I'm gambling with him, but I wouldnt be surprised to see JJ,TT here.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:48 PM

The question you need to answer is what does villain think you have. Have you been raising like this with AK, AQ, etc or is this the first time you made a pre-flop move?

I think you see KK or QQ enough to make this a profitable call. Most villains like to slow play or min bet their monsters. Villain is trying to push you out of the hand. Call and make a note if you lose to some crazy hand.

Almost forgot to mention, don't min raise pre-flop with AA. Go to $25 or so.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:59 PM

Forgot to mention that this a 6 max table even though it seems obvious. I am intrigued by the idea of popping it to $25 pf though. Even at $15, he's only getting 3:1 preflop to call the add'l. $8. I haven't found the fine line on getting some but not too much action on my good starting hands. I would tend to assume that $25 pushes out all but AA-QQ, maybe JJ stays. Don't I want TT and AK calling here?
Old 10-28-2005, 03:11 PM

easy call.

beat him into the pot.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Forgot to mention that this a 6 max table even though it seems obvious. I am intrigued by the idea of popping it to $25 pf though. Even at $15, he's only getting 3:1 preflop to call the add'l. $8. I haven't found the fine line on getting some but not too much action on my good starting hands. I would tend to assume that $25 pushes out all but AA-QQ, maybe JJ stays. Don't I want TT and AK calling here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Reverse the situation, imagine you raised to $8 with TT and someone minraised back to you. You are calling 7 days of the week, right? 3-1 odds is plenty when you have the implied odds of winning a big pot when you flop your set and the other guy can't get rid of his overpair (ahem). You have to think about implied odds more than pot odds when dealing with preflop play unless you are going to be all-in.

Also, a minraise looks like AA/KK more than a regular raise does. A larger raise arguably helps disguise your hand more than a minraise.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain likes his hand so get him to put as much in pre-flop as possible. What does a raise to $25 tell him that a raise to $15 doesn't? What hands does he fold to $25 that he calls $15? 78,67,89 or some other suited connector? Make him pay if he wants to chase a draw because he will stack you when he hits it.

One cardinal rule that I follow is to get as much $$$ in the middle when I am way ahead.

If an A hits a rainbow flop you most likely won't get another cent out of him unless he is an idiot (in which case you should have pushed all-in pre-flop).