Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2005, 09:23 PM

Default Re: I\'m completely miffed at this call by another 2+2er

[ QUOTE ]

oh my god this has nothing to do with gigabet it has to do with a remarkable concept called "POT ODDS".

[/ QUOTE ]

So you call here? Or you fold here?

How close do you think it is?

Luminous
Old 06-20-2005, 09:25 PM

Pot odds are a great reason to make this call when you're getting 2.5:1 or when you have, say, 76s or something.

Exactly 2:1 on 73o when losing leaves you in second and not first...yuck.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:26 PM

Probably I'd fold...73o is a bit disgusting. Forgive my intuitive and non mathematically based answer.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
oh my god this has nothing to do with gigabet it has to do with a remarkable concept called "POT ODDS". There are some other small facotrs involved but mainly this is simply a pot odds problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I meant to say. Pot odds and I feel the stack situation allows you to make a neutral chip EV call here since you'll be fine if you lose. Way to simplify things curtains.... Oh yeah, Gigabet Gigabet Gigabet [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img].
Old 06-20-2005, 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Probably I'd fold...73o is a bit disgusting. Forgive my intuitive and non mathematically based answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given the last week on the forums, "Gigabet call" is my intuitive and non mathematically based answer [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-20-2005, 09:30 PM

No I was "influenced" by Gigabet also because losing still puts me at the second biggest stack, whereas winning makes me the biggest stack where the next stack is half my size.

Anyway I know this is a little wrong because it's MARGINAL by pot odds alone, but by bubble play, I should try to maintain a larger stack so that I still have Sponger covered so that I can push any two the next 5 hands.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:34 PM

Yeah but here are some advantages to folding too...the chips you lose are pretty meaningful. Other advantages to calling are that this guy, if you play with him a lot, will understand that you make pot odds based decisions like this and have a lot more fear towards calling you.

However I'd still fold 73o.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:34 PM

Well yeah, that too. Didn't include it in that post, but I said it earlier. I think people are underestimating the advantage you will have with 4K in chips here if you win. Even though the bubble's over, people still don't want to call off all their chips with a marginal hand. Having double everyone's chips gives you leverage regardless of whether you're ITM or not (more so with 4 left, but I still think it's useful after the bubble bursts).
Old 06-20-2005, 09:41 PM

It seems to me that the new fad around here is that a big stack is not worth protecting but a slightly bigger one is infinitely desireable.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:44 PM

Great topic, but my honest opinion is that its just too close to matter.

I enjoy being the minority sometimes...This is one of those cases where I am not playing devils advocate. I really think the call is good enough for the right style of play, but just not worth arguing over.

The very fact that this thread has exploded is proof enough to me that this his call was EV due to the mental strain it put on you and would put on so many others that just wouldnt say a word. Instead they would jot in their notes that he is a loose caller.

Caller may not have had all of this in mind, but accidently I think he has made an Aplus move.

Bravo