Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2005, 09:18 AM

Default Facing a reraise preflop (PLO8)

This is a situation where I feel somewhat lost (I have little NL/PL experience in any form of poker). If I'm UTG and limp an A2 hand, I'm not sure how to play against a big MP/LP reraise, especially against a player with PFR btw 7-12. For example:

1) A2s59 limps $1 UTG, 4 callers [$4], Button raises ~$7, blinds fold, Hero??

I've been mucking these situations. I'll play sometimes if I have a good 2-way hand (I don't think suited ace is enough, right?), but I suspect I'm backing off too much.

When is it correct to call/reraise/fold when you can't be sure if the opponent has A23x, AA(2-3)x, AJsAKs, etc.? Do you play the strong low hands with only mediocre/weak high chances? My gut tells me to reraise or fold a vast majority of the time, wanting to kill the positional disadvantage with a strong HU hand (planning to check/fold, pot/fold, or pot/reraise depending on the flop and opponent), and get all-in preflop if necessary.

Thoughts?
Old 08-05-2005, 03:00 PM

Default Re: Facing a reraise preflop (PLO8)

Vilian is pretty aggesive. I think depending on post flop skill A259 can either be a big winner or a big loser. I'll fold it against most opponents, but there are alot of folks who I'd be gald to see the flop.

In this case trying to squeltch the positional disadvantage by raising is not a good idea. you will need your post flop skills to make A259ss profitable against vilian. Even tho raising to knock out the 4 over limpers has merit. I'm not sure if it's reason enough, and it's offset by getting some better odds with more callers.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:27 PM

If he has PFR of 7-12, you have to play. You probably have the best hand. I'd play A3s59, actually. The flop defines the hand for you; you'll probably either want to push all your chips in at that point or get out.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:40 PM

Personally I call every time, regardless of the opponent's stats. Hell, he didn't even max-raise.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:42 PM

This is about what I thought (and haven't been doing). Thanks guys.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:21 PM

I would be calling with ~80% of the hands I'm willing to limp with UTG, and reraising with ~5-10% of them.

--Greg