Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2005, 03:21 AM

Default Books I\'ve read, bought, or might read

OK, haven't done book reviews in a while. Here are a few.

Read recently:

Ugly Americans (Ben Mezick) - By the guy who wrote Bringing Down the House about MIT blackjack team, which I thought was great. This book was pretty weak, about hedge fund guys in Japan. Trying to be another Liar's Poker, but fails.

The Last Opium Den (Nick Tosches) - About a guy's quest to find a genuine opium den, treks across Asia etc. OK, definitely not great.

Running with Scissors (Augusten Burroughs) - Memoir of this dude growing up as a gay kid with crazy parents and a freakazoid foster family. Excellent.

Hollywood Animal (Joe Eszterhas) - Memoir of the screenwriter of Basic Instinct and many other movies. Oustanding if you are into Hollywood/movies/star-f'ing/etc. I loved this book.

Stranger than Fiction (Chuck Pahluniak) - Nonfiction essays by the author of Fight Club, Choke, Survivor, etc. I thought this was one of his best works. Loved it.

Bought recently, putting off 'til later unless someone says they are great (I wanted Running w/ Scissors and it was Buy 3 get 4th free, so......):

The Known World (Edward P Jones) - Pulitzer Prize winning book, historical fiction about a black farmer, a former slave. Apparently very good and very deep. I dunno, not in the mood for such depth at the moment.

The Red Tent - I actually bought this for my sister and wasn't really interested in it.

Bel Canto (Ann Patchett) - Another award-winning book, set in the midst of a hostage-taking situation with terrorists and, hmmm, hostages. That's really all I know. Again, maybe too serious for me at the moment.

Books I bought today and will read soon (Buy 2 get one free!):

Dry (Augusten Burroughs) - Memoir, sequel to Running w/ Scissors. Looking forward to this.

The Kite Runner (Khaled Hosseini) - Some sort of moving novel about people in Afghanistan. So many people told me it was great I finally decided to buy it.

Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim (David Sedaris) - I know nothing about this book, but I am a Sedaris fan.

Ace on the River (Barry Greenstein) - I havent bought a poker book in forever (BTW, I have a few signed copies of Ed Miller's books if anyone would like to offer me some $$$ for them), but this book sounds good and Barry Greenstein rules, so I just bought it mainly for the stories I've heard are in it.
Old 08-06-2005, 03:29 AM

Default Re: Books I\'ve read, bought, or might read

[ QUOTE ]
Stranger than Fiction (Chuck Pahluniak) - Nonfiction essays by the author of Fight Club, Choke, Survivor, etc. I thought this was one of his best works. Loved it.

[/ QUOTE ]
read haunted if you liked fiction he takes the horror thing to another level. i really thought haunted was fantastic.
Old 08-06-2005, 03:33 AM

If you liked the Eszterhas book, check out American Rhapsody if you haven't yet. It's a bunch of reflections on the Clinton Presidency and his political experiences growing up. And no, it's not at all bland, like I just made it sound. Very entertaining.
Old 08-06-2005, 03:34 AM

i have to read kite runner for school. dont want to. hopefulyl it doesnt suck.

i bought and will read soon beautiful losers by cohen. i read the favorite game which was fantastic. buy them both.
Old 08-06-2005, 03:42 AM

Sedaris is one of the few authors who i actually laugh out loud while reading his works.

You ever read any Murakami? His most recent is so-so, i'm a huge fan of Dance Dance Dance.

Norwegian wood is probably his most popular or the wind up bird chronicle.
Old 08-06-2005, 04:02 AM

Books that I have recently bought and plan to read in the next 4.5 months:

Cases and Materials on Torts, Epstein
Basic Logic Research, Sloan
Writing and Analysis in the Law, Sharpo
Guide to Legal Writing Style, LeClercq
Civil Procedure, Yeazell
Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, Yeazell
Criminal Law, Robinson
Contracts Cases and Doctrine, Barnett
Civil Law Property, Yianopolous
Louisiana Civil Code, Volumes I and II

I think my plate is pretty full. Not much time for recreational reading I presume.
Old 08-06-2005, 04:57 AM

You won't be disappointed with Dry. I've actually read it several times now -- I find it so entertaining I keep going back.
Old 08-06-2005, 05:01 AM

i liked 'dry' more than 'running with scissors'.

'haunted' by paluhniak is pretty terrible. about half of the short stories are great, and the main storyline is awful. so 25% of a good book.

sedaris is one of my favorite authors. 'dress your family' is as entertaining as all of his other books.

other recommendations are: 'the dark tower' series by stephen king as always.

and though it can be kind of hit-or-miss, 'a heartbreaking work of staggering genius' by dave eggers.
Old 08-06-2005, 05:12 AM

I recommend State of Fear by Michael Crichton (The guy who wrote Jurassice Park.) If you haven't read his other books I highly suggest that you do.
Old 08-06-2005, 05:13 AM

The novel, Vernon God Little, winner of booker prize, WILL become the offical book of OOT, if you read and endorse it. Guaranteed.

ps: how was that book about opium dens? i could easily find one in Laos. im certain of it.