Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2005, 03:55 PM

Default I have read ssh, suggestions for another book?

I just finished reading small stakes hold'em by ed miller for the third time. It is really a great book but I'm looking to start reading another book. I am a low-limit player (4/8 live, no online). I have read these books:
Small Stakes Hold'em (x3)
Winning Low-limit hold'em
Hold'em for advanced players (x2)
Caro's book of tells (x3)
Ken Warren Teaches Hold'em

I am probably going to read Theory of Poker, do you have suggestions for another book?

What about something not from 2+2? I love the 2+2 books, but it would be nice to get another perspective on the game.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:33 PM

Default Re: I have read ssh, suggestions for another book?

if your a low limit player

why did you read Hold'em for advanced players? that for higher limit games..they use alot of different strategies in it for higher level..

if you playing low limit Holdem..
just keep reading
Small Stakes Hold'em
Winning Low-limit hold'em
Theory of Poker

that all you need for low limit holdem
Old 01-21-2005, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What about something not from 2+2? I love the 2+2 books, but it would be nice to get another perspective on the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

With few exceptions, you should stick with 2+2. Other books seem to fall into two two categories. Either the book has an author that lacks the expertise in the subject or the it has an author that lacks the ability/motivation to write a book that is of a high quality and is applicable to those trying to learn.

For example, The championship series by Cloutier. I'm not doubting that T.J. cloutier doesn't have a ton of poker know how, but his books seem to have almost no useful information in them. Some of the hand examples are ok, but thats about it. Hellmuths book basically is a list of starting hands with little info of how to play the hands.

Also the original super system is good, but as far as Limit Hold'em and Stud, your not going to find anything that isn't covered more thuroughly in the 2+2 books on these topics.

Go ahead and read other books (But First read Theory of Poker), but i suggest you think of the 2+2 books as your standard texts for each subject.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:11 PM

Read SSH another three times (I'm not kidding). You are definatly smart to start studying ToP - I consider these two books to be the best two poker books available. I don't personally see any reason to stray away from 2+2 books but if you definatly wanted to read something from another publisher I'd suggest Matt Hilger's 'Internet Texas Holdem' book.
Old 01-22-2005, 01:35 PM

I think Inside the Poker Mind or any of Mason't poker essays would be a good place. The cool thing about those books is that they are structured in essay's so you can read one quickly while taking a dump. Being that you are a live player, you might enjoy Inside the Poker Mind where Feeney talks of his transition from the low limits to mid limits.
Old 01-24-2005, 03:41 AM

It never hurts to get other perspectives. I picked up small things even from Helmuth's and Carsons books when I was first started learning the game. But, TOP and SSH are superb and essential at your level.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why did you read Hold'em for advanced players? that for higher limit games..they use alot of different strategies in it for higher level..

[/ QUOTE ]

I read Hold'em for advanced players because Small Stakes Hold'em wasn't published at the time. I agree that most of it does not apply to low-limit games.

I will keeping reading Small Stakes Hold'em (SSH) but I was hoping to get just a few more small details from other texts. I know that SSH and Theory of Poker do a great job of covering the subjects which they intend to cover, but they cannot discuss everything. I would like to read other books (2+2 or not) to find even just a few new nuggets of knowledge if that means slowly sifting through pages of meaningless, misleading, incorrect or already understood topics. Even if a poker book does not offer the highest quality material, as least I can gain insight into the inferior strategies that my opponents may be using.