Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2005, 07:16 PM

Default AK, feeling a bit pasive...

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

BB is 43/0/.3 after 40 hands

I have been concerned that I overplay my AK/AQ when the flop misses... and the turn. That's why I checked the turn. On the river I was worried about someone making aces up so I didn't raise. Is that weak?

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, BB calls, MP2 folds.

Turn: (5.75 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, Button checks.

River: (5.75 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, Button folds.

Final Pot: 7.75 BB
Old 11-05-2005, 07:28 PM

Default Re: AK, feeling a bit pasive...

On the river you made aces up, you now beat A8 and A4. That said, with 2 other aces and 2 other queens out there, when a 0.3 AF player bets into me on a small pot on the river, I'm not good here more than 50% of the time. Looks like a good spot to go for an overcall, although I like betting this turn. If BB c/r you, you know you're behind and can let it go easily. I don't like giving out a free card here when you may be ahead but lose to 12 outs collectively from your competition.
Old 11-05-2005, 07:29 PM

on the river no one can have a better "aces up"
Old 11-05-2005, 07:45 PM

Not sure whether I would bet the turn, but I would raise the river. HU I definitely bet the turn and I probably fire again if the flop was a rainbow instead or I have the button.

Scott
Old 11-05-2005, 07:54 PM

I think the hand is fine. I'd be hard pressed to raise AK on the river here also. I might do it if the BB was more agressive, but I worry that my hand isn't good enough when my raise is called.

I still think you probably have the best hand, but probably not strong enough to raise.
Old 11-05-2005, 07:57 PM

I really like a turn bet. It should close the action usually because your opponents are just as scared of that second queen as you.
Old 11-05-2005, 08:00 PM

I don't agree with betting the turn here, you're hand is probably not good (we don't even have a decent draw) and what happens when the button calls and you only have A high on the river(assuming you miss). AK is tough to take to showdown UI in a multi-way pot. If we keep firing away OOP with AK you're in a losing situation. HU I would certainly bet the turn in position.
Old 11-05-2005, 08:16 PM

perfect. (although a case can be made for betting the turn, since it's likely no one else has a Q and they may fold a hand that has 6 outs against you, fearing they're drawing dead. However, at 2/4, that's less likely than if this were a higher limit)
Old 11-05-2005, 08:22 PM

I feel a little stupid. Of course I have Aces up w/ the best kicker. The question really is, does a Q check call the flop and go for a check raise on the turn. If the answer is no, then I really need to raise/fold the River assuming I checked the flop through. If this were heads up, I know I would raise now in hind sight. But w/ the extra player in it, I am still not sure.

I forgot to give my stats on the Button: 40/0/.23 over 30 hands (wow, it's like the same person playing both.) Doesn't anyone w/ a Q bet the turn from the button or (CR or bet from OOP).

I am still not sure what to do, go for the overcall or try to get one more from the BB...

psw
Old 11-05-2005, 08:32 PM

I think betting the turn is wrong because the passive button could easily have a Q... but he would have bet the turn so by then we know he doesn't have it.

psw