Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 01:47 PM

Default Re: Downswings

[ QUOTE ]
Used SNG's on Pokerroom to build $20 into $490 over about 3 months of playing durring free time. Lost in all in two days because of variance. Its actually kind of comforting to read about someone else going through it.

[/ QUOTE ]

you were playing to high for your bankroll or just really suck
Old 11-04-2005, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have finished ITM in 3 of my last 25 SNGs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:08 PM

I recommend moving up buyins after every loss. Double down, baby! Martingale system WORKS.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:13 PM

Doesn't anyone on this forum lose due to bad play??

It seems that everyone here assumes they are a good player when they're winning, yet any sort of downswing is attributed variance and not poor play. Seems kinda suspect to me...
Old 11-04-2005, 02:35 PM

I realized before I even got here that there will always be other people who have experienced worse. That does not, however, answer my question about how long downswings can last.

If you read my post carefully, you'll see that I'm not looking for sympathy. Hell, I know this is the last place on earth to look for sympathy. Even the players who beat me would have more sympathy.

I am here looking for advice and a few answers, as well as a few words of encouragement (which I was happy to see. Thanks to those who took the time there. MUCH appreciated.).

My previous post where I posted my sample size was another case of looking for answers. I didn't show up here with a chip on my shoulder or even the vaguest idea that I was enlightened.

I came as a student.

Thanks for your thoughts as well. I appreciate them all.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have finished ITM in 3 of my last 25 SNGs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not looking for sympathy. Just wondering if this is an indication of one of those bad runs I hear about. I'm just trying to learn because, unlike everyone here, I wasn't born knowing this stuff.

Thanks for your contribution to the thread.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:39 PM

I'm currenty on a 25 buyin downswing including a number of 6-12 OOTM streaks. This is not at all out of the ordinary. In fact people would bitch me out for complaining about my streak. The point nobody can really tell you how long a bad steak lasts. If it means anything I'm pretty sure there are people that are consistant winners that have had 500 sng steaks where they lose money. Honastly what your talking about here is notthing.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Doesn't anyone on this forum lose due to bad play??

It seems that everyone here assumes they are a good player when they're winning, yet any sort of downswing is attributed variance and not poor play. Seems kinda suspect to me...

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I'm trying to figure out. Am I playing poorly or is this just a bad run? Maybe it is a bad run amplified by poor play.

Those are the things I'm hoping to figure out with the help of the constructive posters on this forum. Especially the guy who said, 'Awwwww' because that helped me learn.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:41 PM

My downswing at the $33s got extremely close to 40 buy-ins. I'm afraid it's the nature of the beast, but as Irie pointed out, it can cause winning players to quit. It really is demoralising.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's what I'm trying to figure out. Am I playing poorly or is this just a bad run? Maybe it is a bad run amplified by poor play.

Those are the things I'm hoping to figure out with the help of the constructive posters on this forum. Especially the guy who said, 'Awwwww' because that helped me learn.

[/ QUOTE ]

The best thing you could do is find a solid player to look over 4 or 5 of your HHs from a normal game and see if he can spot any obvious leaks.