Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2004, 02:32 AM

Default Re: Should have fired again? Or should have gotten out?

I'm a little tired here, where do you play that has 15000 chips in play?

Party is 8000/10000, Paradise 10000, Stars 13500 and Ultimate 10000.

The reason I ask is because the blind structure is important if playing the waiting game.

I may be missing something very obvious, but like I said I'm tired (and have had a two month absence)

Lori
Old 08-18-2004, 02:34 AM

Nice post Lori,

I think we can now assume that a read on the big stack does change how you would play this hand, as well as how the shorter stacks are playing. My post assumes everyone is fairly typical. But that is a broad statement, and the level of the sng would affect the definition of typical, as well as other factors.

Overall, I think your thinking isn't weak tight. I'm actually not quite sure how to classify your thinking to be honest. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] But if you have a plan, and if within your plan you can justify how it is more $EV for you to fold this hand, then I guess I have to take your word for it. I feel like this is a +$EV and more obviously a +Cev raise within my game plan--however I do think that it could be debatable.

-Jason
Old 08-18-2004, 02:44 AM

Overall, I think your thinking isn't weak tight. I'm actually not quite sure how to classify your thinking to be honest

Weak-Tight is fairly close, although it's more of a Tricky-Weak-Tight.

I will often make -Cev plays to get +$EV ones later.

A further example of this would be if it is folded around to the SB on the first hand and he raises small, I'm hardly folding any two here because he isn't going to do that many times, and frankly I don't want him doing it at 300-600.

Lori
Old 08-18-2004, 02:54 AM

You see, I'd have the exact opposite approach there. Early I'd fold because the blinds arent big. If he kept doing it, I'd feel like I had a very big advantage because later in the game I could come over the top of his min raise with a wide range of hands--knowing he'd have to lay them down because of my image and because he could have any 2 crap cards. So I would adjust to my opponent, and let him think that he could get away with stealing my blind early, in exchange for making him pay big later.

-Jason
Old 08-18-2004, 02:56 AM

Classic, absolutely classic, and of course equally valid.

Lori
Old 08-18-2004, 09:29 AM

PokerRoom.com. All of their SNGs start you with 1500 in chips.

Thanks for all the great thoughts guys.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:22 AM

For this particular hand, I may be inclined to check the flop. A lot of times, people view a check as more of a hint of extreme strength than weakness. Then if checked to on the turn, I would come out firing a pot sized bet to represent the Q. If bet at on the turn I would let it go.

A lot of times people will call the flop bet with two overcards, like KQ, or AJ.

But in regards to how you played it, I definitely check it down the rest of the way, you made a steal attempt and bet the flop and were called, move on to the next hand and hope he was on a draw.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:25 AM

I would go with Jason here.

Obviously both are valid approaches. But I think the fact that there is at least a 50/50 chance that he (or you) wont even be there when it gets to 300/600 makes Jason's approach more valuable.

Obviously the whole table in theory sees you defend. My new years poker resolution was to watch the whole table to see who was giving their blinds away. I have failed abysmally and still only think of the players to my left and right most of the time. I don't think I am alone.

Of course mostly I would just go with the cards, if I can piss on him in the early rounds then great. But I would be quite happy to try and take advantage at a later stage.

I don't give up much CEV for protecting my blinds early in a SnG.

just some thoughts

Tim