Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2005, 11:50 AM

Default My purpose in life...

Is to serve as a warning to others.

Party Super qualifier, 36 left, 21 get paid. I have 11K in chips. Blinds 500/1000

guy to my right has been min-raising my blinds every time it's folded to him on button or small blind. I got moved to this table with the shortest stack and blinds were 100/200. Never had cards to play back at him.

So, I have A7 of diamonds, he is SB and sure enough, he min-raises me again, I make it 5K. He goes all in (he had under 8K at this point)

Next round:

Me in SB, villian on button. I have 88, he min raises me again, I push.

I let his constant min-raising tilt me, I think, and lost sight of the fact that with 11K I could probably fold into the money. I just wanted to teach him not to keep stealing my blinds.

I'm still pissed.....

Regards

Gar

Oh, his hands were QT offsuit in hand 1 and QJ offsuit in hand 2. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 03-03-2005, 09:29 PM

Default Re: My purpose in life...

I don't understand what we are supposed to learn?
Old 03-04-2005, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand what we are supposed to learn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't lose sight of your goal in the heat of battle.

In a tourney where 1st through 21st all pay the same thing, you have a different goal than when 1st pays 50X 21st.

In the first case, your goal is to survive to the money. In the second case, your goal is to win.

When your goal is to survive, you play meek, mild-mannered poker, painful as that might be. There is a place for tight-passive, just as there is a place for loose-aggressive. That's what "Changing gears" is all about. Knowing when to change gears is just as important as knowing which gear to choose.

I forgot. Don't let this happen to you.

Regards

Gar
Old 03-04-2005, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So, I have A7 of diamonds, he is SB and sure enough, he min-raises me again, I make it 5K. He goes all in (he had under 8K at this point)

[/ QUOTE ]

Fold or go all-in is the thing to learn here, and whether this is a supersat or a standard payout MTT doesn't change that.

Later,
Che
Old 03-04-2005, 02:12 PM

I'm guessing you lost, but you don't really explain your message very well. I think this relates directly to your situation and may help you in the future.

Does anyone else do this?

Before a tourney starts I think about what I'm trying to accomplish and I write them down on a page in my notebook which is open right in front of me. These goals are ussually ITM, 2x my buy-in, final table, win satelite seat, etc. depending on size and structure of tournament.
After the first hour I do some calculations to coorespond to my goals for the tourney. What will an average stack be when I would reach each of these goals.

I then use this as the measuring stick to guage where I am and where I need to be. It helps you to focus on your goals IMO much better than your standing at any given moment.

Losing sight of your goals can be disasterous, doing this helps me to keep perspective; hopefully it can help you too.

-sloth
Old 03-04-2005, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold or go all-in is the thing to learn here, and whether this is a supersat or a standard payout MTT doesn't change that.

[/ QUOTE ]

My point was that, this close to my goal, loose-agressive is not the gear I should have chosen. I think folding here was correct, based on my goal of survival. Pushing would have been correct based on 'winning' being the goal. Pushing would have also been correct with a better hand.

Sorry I was not clearer in my original post.

Regards

Gar