Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2005, 05:03 PM

Default Re: Where is this coming from all of a sudden

What are the chances they fold down to the raise versus the chance they call the reraise? You have to mix up your play. This is just another thing to mix it up. IE, when I limp in EP, I don't have crap all the time so don't raise it up every time. You can't do everything all the time, this is just another trick to mix up play. Yes it's a tell tell sign of a hand. You can also limp call with AA Or KK if that really floats your boat. I've seen it in more than enough occasions.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:11 PM

"In no-limit hold'em it is generally correct to slowplay in early position with two aces or two kings".

Sklansky, TOP, p 64
Old 06-09-2005, 05:22 PM

It's not a problem because someone had to pay your best hand without the odds to do so to see that flop. The key question with a limp/large reraise strategy is: Is there a likely caller (Lags/maniacs)? If so, its a great play. If not, the play is debateable as evidenced by this thread.

All of that said, I don't think my statement that there are no reverse implied odds on the play is debateable.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What gives is: Donks want action with those hands and are sick of not getting any, but they also want to win with them and are sick of "always" getting them cracked.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is "Donk" the cool new diss word? Am I the only one who thinks that people who use it are trying to be a little cooler and "in" than they are?
Old 06-09-2005, 06:03 PM

none of you are cool
Old 06-09-2005, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
none of you are cool

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. This type of post is Exhibit A. What is with the need to self-promote on this board? Is truth and reality really that brutal to some of you?
Old 06-09-2005, 06:34 PM

I will assert that even if opponents will know you have AA/KK, limp reraise is still a good move.

The main reason I limp reraise is because I don't want to raise and then have multiple callers and a huge pot by the flop. Even though I still have the majority of my stack, the pot on the flop is already 1/3 or more of my remaining stack and if I make any sort of bet on the flop, I'm almost pot committed. so I either let draws get free cards or I take a gamble and hope nobody outflopped me. Neither of which I want to do.

The deeper the stacks and the looser the table, the better limp reraising is. Since often times you aren't just picking up the raise and the blinds but a raise, and couple of calls behind that raise, all at no risk. and if somebody comes along, you stand a very good chance of stacking them.

Also, if you get a raise behind you, but no callers, you could just smoothcall the raise and disguise your hand if you don't want to just win the raise and blinds.

I like it because I can excercise pot control. I can take it down preflop if I choose, I can smoothcall and trap if I choose. the pot size is not determined by how many people call behind me and thats very important.

The only risk is having it limped around. If thats the case, just don't get too attached and if you hit the A then you might stack somebody anyways.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:24 PM

It's most likely coming from SS2 readers.

I think it's saving me money (when I get limp re-raised). It's AA/KK the vast majority of the time (non maniacs or shortstacks), so I can play the rest of the hand with near perfect information.

This hand is from today, if he would of raised-reraised preflop, I couldn't have gotten away from it.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (6 handed) converter

Button ($9.70)
SB ($12.75)
BB ($22.35)
UTG ($11.80)
MP ($18.15)
Hero ($24.40)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls $0.75, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $5</font>, Hero folds