Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2005, 03:51 PM

Default Re: Fold pocket Aces??

As long as I play very well, I'm happy. Poker should not be a result based activity because thinking that way negatively affects long term results. Instead, one would be wiser to approach it as a process-based activity and attempt to always play well. Good results come from long term good play, not worrying about winning.

Additionally, never play at a level where you will be upset if you lose. If you're taking a shot at a bigger game, fine. But, be honest about the risk inherent in taking a shot.

That said, I get pissed when I lose a bunch (to bad beats or when I play badly--much more when I play badly), but I'm working to get over it with gradual success.

I think bad beat posts should be separated into another forum or tagged with "bad beat--" in the subject line, perhaps both. This would obviously have to be for clear bad beats as many apparently bad beats are poor strategy and people can't always tell if a play is a bad beat or an overly risky play in a tournament context.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:12 PM

No...I'm saying that this same exact post in at the SNG can be interpretted as nothing but a bad post. As in, even if it wasn't a bad beat post then it's still a bad post no matter how you look at it. I'm not saying that you should even think about folding aces in this situation, but if this wasn't a home game where it was probably a SNG then it's a little understandable that it raises some nasty doubts in your head.

Also, your example of what you get upset by is skewed. I wouldn't get upset of a bad beat out of the money happening 30 times, but at the final table it's very different. Imagine that same thing happening at the final table of the 11+R at Stars. This is where he gets beaten with pocket aces in an 84% chance to shoot up to a fairly likely first place and guaranteed second, but then lose the hand and get knocked down in third. That bad beat alone costed a large chunk of the payout. Let's say it happened in yesterday's 11R. Assuming skill level was even with the heads up player had you won that hand, you would be a 73% winner of the entire tournament netting you $12,231.40. But then you lose the hand become the best candidate for third, settling for $4679.84. That bad beat alone just costed you $7550.

So then you come in here and post this with some genuine doubt driven by depression, confusion, anger, or whatever because calling just costed about 4 months of work, and you get your [censored] kicked in by everyone here. How would you feel?
Old 09-07-2005, 04:21 PM

"Here's a case where you should fold 'em:

Your "friend" has been dealing all night. He has been dealt quads three times, and has rivered a flush to beat your set on three occasions. He frequently shoots his cuffs and winks at the guy in the corner.

You're ahead now, but will definitely be beat by the river. Fold."

I was reading this in my university's library. After reading this I was laughing uncontrollably for about 10 min. Everyone was staring at me but I just could not stop laughing. Hilarious.

Do not even think about folding here. Calling virtually guarantees that at least one of them will be knocked out. Call, stand up, and say "Aces sucka faces!" Then taunt them a little more and throw the table over when you get outdrawn.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No...I'm saying that this same exact post in at the SNG can be interpretted as nothing but a bad post. As in, even if it wasn't a bad beat post then it's still a bad post no matter how you look at it. I'm not saying that you should even think about folding aces in this situation, but if this wasn't a home game where it was probably a SNG then it's a little understandable that it raises some nasty doubts in your head.

Also, your example of what you get upset by is skewed. I wouldn't get upset of a bad beat out of the money happening 30 times, but at the final table it's very different. Imagine that same thing happening at the final table of the 11+R at Stars. This is where he gets beaten with pocket aces in an 84% chance to shoot up to a fairly likely first place and guaranteed second, but then lose the hand and get knocked down in third. That bad beat alone costed a large chunk of the payout. Let's say it happened in yesterday's 11R. Assuming skill level was even with the heads up player had you won that hand, you would be a 73% winner of the entire tournament netting you $12,231.40. But then you lose the hand become the best candidate for third, settling for $4679.84. That bad beat alone just costed you $7550.

So then you come in here and post this with some genuine doubt driven by depression, confusion, anger, or whatever because calling just costed about 4 months of work, and you get your [censored] kicked in by everyone here. How would you feel?

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's what the OP said about this hand: "In fact, I did instacall. UTG turned over A2s and SB had AK. Feelin' alright, as I am an 82% favorite to bust them both. But the flop came J-2-2, and I was dead to runner-runner jacks."

This has nothing to do with SnGs or MTTs. This is not a strategy post. This is a bad beat post.

My comment is that the penalty for submitting a bad beat post is much higher in the 1-table tournaments than the Multi-table tournaments forum. And I think that's appropriate. A bad beat post demonstrates a basic misunderstanding of poker.

The responses in this post miss the mark for the most part, I think. He got his money in as an 82% (!) favorite. If he is seriously questioning his call, then he has a hole in his game that you could fly an airplane through. If he is just bitching about losing, then his original post is somewhat misleading.