Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2005, 02:27 AM

Default Muck it. Please confirm that this 11:1 fold is stanard.. thanks.

I've only played with villain for about 8 orbits, but this is what I have noticed so far...

Villain 3-bets PPs > 77 from the SB and big broadways when defending.

He plays pretty straight forward post flop and I haven't seen him bluf or semi-bluff.

Actually, as I write this read, I feel more and more that this fold is correct, but want to check.

Am I good here 1 in 10? I don't think so.

(edit: the pf and flop play are not standard for me, but this guy has been giving me a lot of respect and has been folding a lot on the flop when I show a lot of strength, hence, the slightly non-standard line. But feel free to comment on that too.)

Party Poker 20/40 Hold'em (5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

River: (8.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero folds.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:33 AM

Default Re: Muck it. Please confirm that this 11:1 fold is stanard.. thanks.

Failure to cap preflop and flat-calling on the flop is just bad poker. I assume you didn't cap him preflop so you could get excessive action later in the hand, but then you take a postflop line that virtually guarantees you won't get it.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Failure to cap preflop and flat-calling on the flop is just bad poker. I assume you didn't cap him preflop so you could get excessive action later in the hand, but then you take a postflop line that virtually guarantees you won't get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I edited the original post just before you wrote this I think.

I was getting almost no post flop action if I capped pf from this guy. In that light, how bad is the pre-flop/flop play considering that we are HU?
Old 07-08-2005, 03:07 AM

FPS
Old 07-08-2005, 03:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've only played with villain for about 8 orbits, but this is what I have noticed so far...

Villain 3-bets PPs &gt; 77 from the SB and big broadways when defending.

He plays pretty straight forward post flop and I haven't seen him bluf or semi-bluff.

Actually, as I write this read, I feel more and more that this fold is correct, but want to check.

Am I good here 1 in 10? I don't think so.

(edit: the pf and flop play are not standard for me, but this guy has been giving me a lot of respect and has been folding a lot on the flop when I show a lot of strength, hence, the slightly non-standard line. But feel free to comment on that too.)

Party Poker 20/40 Hold'em (5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

River: (8.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero folds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think your play is all that bad as far as the streets are concerned. I think that on the end you have to call. Your hand will be good often enough to merit the call... it could easily be a desparation attempt at the pot and the pot is considerable at this point... 10 BB is a large enough pot to make a play... but small enough that a possible fold could be found.

Seems like a possible play that could be made here... however, you will likely be shown A-Q or Q-J with a club being held would be my guess.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
FPS

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm ready to seriously consider this.

But I hardly ever do something like this. Mabye 1 time in 100.

With what frequency should a non-standard line like this be used when heads up?

Should I just never do this at all?
Old 07-08-2005, 03:52 AM

I'm in the minority here as I think this is a good fold.

You also said you have not seen him bluff or semi-bluff. And player who plays as straight-forwardly as you say he is, is ahead of your here nearly all the time.

nice laydown.

-Scott
Old 07-08-2005, 03:58 AM

it can be frustrating not getting any action, but in your read you said that you hadn't seen him bluff and he was straightforward postflop. This line against a player as you describe is just throwing away money.

In other words, I'm not totally opposed to your line, but I think it's usage should be more read-dependent. Use it against a LAG.

As you played it, I think the fold is ok.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:05 AM

Ok. That makes sense.

Although, I'm not sure I should be taking advice from a guy that has DONK tattooed on his back. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-08-2005, 04:05 AM

if only that were me....