Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2005, 10:54 AM

Default Re: I want to learn Limit Holdem

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For a beginner to limit, I'd recommend reading Winning Low-Limit Hold'Em by Lee Jones first. Once you understand those concepts, move on to the more complicated Small Stakes Hold'Em by Miller+Sklansky. You absolutely must read and re-read Small Stakes Hold'Em to grasp all the concepts. You also must apply them by playing thousands of hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since he's got experience in hold em already, I think he can start with Small Stakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's already said he doesn't understand SSHE. I'm guessing he's done okay playing low-level NL but doesn't have that strong a foundation in basic poker theory yet, so staring with something like Jones or Hilger or Miller's new book would be okay.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:13 AM

I wouldn't start him with Jones now that GSIH is available.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
another suggestion to keep in mind:

stack size is irrelevant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless your opponent is severely short-stacked. Sometimes.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For a beginner to limit, I'd recommend reading Winning Low-Limit Hold'Em by Lee Jones first. Once you understand those concepts, move on to the more complicated Small Stakes Hold'Em by Miller+Sklansky. You absolutely must read and re-read Small Stakes Hold'Em to grasp all the concepts. You also must apply them by playing thousands of hands.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ditto. The Lee Jones book is great. Read it, play a little, then dive in to Small Stakes Hold'Em. Rember this: limit is HARD. Harder to protect your hand, smaller payoffs on big hands, etc. Personally, I've had much more success at No-limit and tourneys than limit ring games. I keep playing the limit ring games for the challenge.

Speaking of Jones, I see that he has a brand new edition (3rd?) out. Anyone read the new edition?
Old 08-17-2005, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3. YOu'll have to learn how to protect your hand better. Unlike no limit you cannot bet X to offer Y odds, sometimes only a check-raise will protect your hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

All 4 of UA's point were very good, and this one is particularly valuable for a converting NL player. One of the more interesting things that you see in limit as opposed to NL is the amount of pots where you and your opponents will be betting or calling with the worse hand at the moment and it will be the correct decision.

If you bet TPTK, for instance, players with the nut flush or outside straight draws may follow you all the way to the river, getting proper odds the whole time. Try not to get frustrated by this initially. You'll win enough of these pots against players playing weak draws in the micros and you'll draw out enough yourself when you get the right odds.
Old 08-20-2005, 03:15 AM

Thanks to all of you who replied. I have taken out my copy of SSHE and will spend the weekend with it.

cat923