Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 01:42 AM

Default Re: What if you knew everyone\'s hole cards? (continued)

Here's one problem with being able to see your opponent's hole cards. Imagine this scenario:

You're on camera at the WSOP main event. First hand and you're even with your opponents. You pick up T-T in mid position and raise.
Sammy Farha is in late position calls and the two of you are heads up seeing a flop of A-A-T. He has A-T.

Now, Stevie Wonder and Helen Keller can both see the mauling that's to occur a mile and a half away. There's not a player in the world that isn't, somehow some way, getting all his chips in at some point in this hand.

But you have the gift to see hole cards. You know you're drawing dead.
How do you not get all in here? Are you folding? The camera just picked up that you have a full house and you're folding?

Describe how you maneuver the betting to lose the least amount WITHOUT raising suspicions when you flop a monster that's drawing dead?
Old 10-14-2005, 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's one problem with being able to see your opponent's hole cards. Imagine this scenario:

You're on camera at the WSOP main event. First hand and you're even with your opponents. You pick up T-T in mid position and raise.
Sammy Farha is in late position calls and the two of you are heads up seeing a flop of A-A-T. He has A-T.

Now, Stevie Wonder and Helen Keller can both see the mauling that's to occur a mile and a half away. There's not a player in the world that isn't, somehow some way, getting all his chips in at some point in this hand.

How do you not get all in here? Are you folding? The camera just picked up that you have a full house and you're folding?

Describe how you maneuver the betting to lose the least amount WITHOUT raising suspicions when you flop a monster that's drawing dead?

[/ QUOTE ]

there's your .0001%
Old 10-14-2005, 02:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I make a huge laydown. They can be suspicious as they want, but they can't prove a thing. I can also just slowplay for a bit and then get some money in and then wuss out. Later I tell people I was pretty sure that Sammy had at least aces full so I folded. Only if they can read my thoughts and my new ability somehow means I'm cheating can they catch me.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I make a huge laydown. They can be suspicious as they want, but they can't prove a thing. I can also just slowplay for a bit and then get some money in and then wuss out. Later I tell people I was pretty sure that Sammy had at least aces full so I folded. Only if they can read my thoughts and my new ability somehow means I'm cheating can they catch me.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could also do something to get your hand declared dead, like show someone else your cards. Then you can pretend to go on tilt letting people know what a monster you had. This would simultaneously likely put your opponent on tilt who actually had AT and also give you cover for the next few weird hands.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:34 AM

Yell "Fvck Yeah!" really loud when you see the flop and have your hand ruled dead when they give you a 10 minute penalty. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2005, 09:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy laydown when the queen hits the board as you "knew" Sammy had AQ [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Actually, you should fold it face up, and say "I've got a monster, Sammy and I'm laying this down. Because I saw you eat that that oreo and I know you have either A 10 or A Q. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2005, 10:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You check call all the way, and hope that Sammy tries to extract money from you with his monster so he never goes all in, but bets more modestly. Likely he may even try to trap with a few checks of his own.

If he goes all in, call, double him up, and then grin as he's now increased is stack to approximately 1/10 the size of yours.

Alternative. Fold, and immediately grab your head in shock and dismay anc claim to have misread either the board or your hand. Go on and on to Sammy about how you made such a terrible mistake and he was dead in the water but you threw a way a boat.

--Zetack
Old 10-15-2005, 10:01 PM

Not to beat a dead horse, but I had a chance to meet Phil Hellmuth last night, and I was curious for his viewpoint on this topic.

I asked "If you could see the hole cards of everyone else in the main event, what percentage do you win?"

His answer "Almost 100."
Old 10-15-2005, 10:50 PM

This is a huge grunch.

If you had this ability you would not win every tournament but you would win tons of them.

The most important stage of the tournament would be early on, when you had an equal stack (or smaller if those around you win first). In this situation losing on a bad beat (say you get all in with JJ vs TT and he spikes a T) you would be out or crippled. As your tournament went on and your chipstack grows you would start becoming a huge favorite. You would always get your chips in with the best hand (small to large +EV situations) and sinc eyou have a bigger stack even a bad beat or two could be overcome.

So overal you may win say 25-50% of big tournaments you entered, but if you make it past say day 1 and are among the chip leaders you may very well have a strong % chance (70%+) of winning.
Old 10-15-2005, 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In this situation losing on a bad beat (say you get all in with JJ vs TT and he spikes a T) you would be out or crippled.

[/ QUOTE ]

You would never do this. It is too easy for you to win chips in situations where there is no confrontation, or where the confrontation is won (guy has top pair vs your set or straight vs your flush, or on the river where you have won). If on the first hand of the tourney, you were in the BB with AA and the SB pushed, you should fold no matter what his cards are (barring something asinine like he has 77, both other 7s are gone, you have the same suits and the 6s and 8s are in short supply/gone.