Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2004, 01:24 PM

Default Losing Streaks

Just how long can a losing streak last? One of my books says the worst case streak could last 1400 hours. Is this true? Any other guesses or explanations?
Old 03-07-2004, 04:47 PM

Default Re: Losing Streaks

Depends on what you call a streak - I just went through a 110 Big Bet streak in 10 hours. Not even bad beats - just never hitting and looking at my hands very few mistakes.

My worst streak is 0-79 at the moment but a large number of 0-50s
Old 03-09-2004, 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Depends on what you call a streak - I just went through a 110 Big Bet streak in 10 hours. Not even bad beats - just never hitting and looking at my hands very few mistakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh, glad I'm not the only one. Mind you, I've made some mistakes and my play isn't perfect but I haven't seen much in the way of starting hands. Hopefully my 30BB win today will kick me out of it.
Old 03-09-2004, 10:25 PM

I read a book called Killer Online Poker that really turned my head. It said the wame thing that 2+2ers say BUT for some reason it hit home.

Bad beats by bad players happen to EVERYBODY - it really does. When you have a streak of poker where the most hidious players are beating you when you FINALLY get cards just remember it it REALLY does happen to everybody.

Its the law of averages. The difference between good players and bad is that the good players just shake their head and move on - the bad get angry and take it personally.

Remember that these players are not playing bad on purpose - they honestly do not know how to play. They are not TRYING to play badly. YUP - they just killed your perfect hand but would you rather have a bunch of GOOD players at your table?

Old 03-10-2004, 12:05 PM

Default Re: Losing Streaks / THANKS

Old 03-12-2004, 08:48 AM

Default Re: Killer Online Poker

Killer Online Poker is by the same guy that wrote Killer Poker, John Vorhous, right? Have you read Killer Poker, and if so, can you compare/contrast the two?
I just ordered Killer Poker, and have been wondering about the online version.
Thanks for any input.
Old 03-07-2004, 11:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One of my books says the worst case streak could last 1400 hours. Is this true?

[/ QUOTE ]
I know some players who have been on a losing streak for their entire career. Losing players will always be on a losing streak.

Personally, I think a losing streak that long is simply ludicrous.

-ropey
Old 03-08-2004, 12:34 AM

I have gone three weeks playing daily. The good news was I came back winning 3 times as much as I lost in the next two weeks. I'm not sure how many hands but I usually play 100 to 200 hands a day.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:57 AM

Only you know if it is really a losing streak or a number of losses strung together by the occassional wrong play. Then there's the agression or lack of agression that can hamper your ability to reverse a trend. That's when other players at thetable have you pegged as someone who is always trying to draw to the nuts and bet into you more than they would normally bet.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just how long can a losing streak last? One of my books says the worst case streak could last 1400 hours. Is this true? Any other guesses or explanations?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe it is closer to 1350 hours--the authors were planning to correct that in the revised edition.