Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2005, 08:46 PM

Default Re: October Goals post!!

1. 50k hands at Eurobet 10/20 6max
2. 10k hands at non-Party 20/40, 30/60 short
3. End the 45k hands of breakeven madness
4. At the end of just 1 week feel like it hasn't been Groundhog day all over again.
5. Flop a pair out of the BB
6. Oh, and email Party and tell them it's ok to flip the switch back.

___1___
Old 09-30-2005, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You know, with all the money you've made playing poker... why do you still live in Minnesota?

[/ QUOTE ]

he still goes to school

[/ QUOTE ]

Makes sense...

so now I have the question:

With all the money you've made playing poker, why are you still going to school?
Old 09-30-2005, 09:13 PM

Because you should have a viable alternative when it comes to a career besides poker. It could be this lucrative for another few years, another decade, who knows? But it won't be forever. Playing poker in front of the computer for the next 40 years is also not a very tempting thought for most people.

Personally, i get tempted to not go to school all the time, but as silly as this sounds, you need to think of poker as a different experience than the "real world". Yes, the money is real and there is a lot of it to be had, but nonetheless, poker can supplement other more important goals in life, it does not have to be those goals. The people who are driven and do very well at poker would not be content retiring at 27 and doing nothing for the rest of their lives, Schneids can make enough money to live comforablt while he pursues his academic career. I also am speaking for him which is a little silly since i don't know him so well, but i am making inferences based on what i do know about him. I am interested to see if he replies to this, but i would guess they would the reasoning would be similar to what i mentioned.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because you should have a viable alternative when it comes to a career besides poker. It could be this lucrative for another few years, another decade, who knows? But it won't be forever. Playing poker in front of the computer for the next 40 years is also not a very tempting thought for most people.

Personally, i get tempted to not go to school all the time, but as silly as this sounds, you need to think of poker as a different experience than the "real world". Yes, the money is real and there is a lot of it to be had, but nonetheless, poker can supplement other more important goals in life, it does not have to be those goals. The people who are driven and do very well at poker would not be content retiring at 27 and doing nothing for the rest of their lives, Schneids can make enough money to live comforablt while he pursues his academic career. I also am speaking for him which is a little silly since i don't know him so well, but i am making inferences based on what i do know about him. I am interested to see if he replies to this, but i would guess they would the reasoning would be similar to what i mentioned.

[/ QUOTE ]

ggbman,

You are truly way ahead of your age. You have great poker game but I'm much more impressed with your life game. Very nice post.

Krishan
Old 09-30-2005, 10:24 PM

You know...

I intend to ride poker as long as I can.

After that, I have enough money and business sense to start my own business (or expand ones I currently have working for me). I'd imagine most could do this as well.

I do intend to pull an MBA out my ass at some point, but there are more important things at the current moment. School will always be there for me, and it's something I'd rather not do unless I have to.

Just so it doesn't sound like I have no plan other than to play poker for the rest of my life...

I do respect the guys that still go to school and play though. It's just a different lifestyle than the one I choose.

Edit: Since someone asked, I have an AS in Economics and could finish up my BA in less than 2 years if I needed to. I also intend to take some online courses to slowly finish it up. But the day-to-day BS of school is not my style.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:30 PM

Thank you for the kind words Krishan
Old 09-30-2005, 10:41 PM

That kind of totally surprises me about you. I would have thought you were degreed already.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:44 PM

I should say that i don't feel that school is always the correct thing for everyone. I don't know you personally, but i know if i wasn't in school meeting cool people and having a good time, i would look back and say "I missed out"

This is not true for everyone, but in my personal case, i would feel weird having everyone move on to other things while i play poker, so since they don't have to be exclusive, i choose not to make them. There is merit to what you are saying, i would love the freedom to make more money and start my own business, become a real estate mogul etc... I just feel for me, it's worth it to push those things back a little bit to be a kid, get drunk, party, and do the things "normal" kids do. When i look at this last month, it's tempting to play professionally. When i think about yesterday when i essenitally dropped a used civic that i havent found what i am going to do for the rest of my life yet [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]In any event, i wish you luck, and it could very well be the best thing for you.

Gabe
Old 09-30-2005, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I should say that i don't feel that school is always the correct thing for everyone. I don't know you personally, but i know if i wasn't in school meeting cool people and having a good time, i would look back and say "I missed out"

This is not true for everyone, but in my personal case, i would feel weird having everyone move on to other things while i play poker, so since they don't have to be exclusive, i choose not to make them. There is merit to what you are saying, i would love the freedom to make more money and start my own business, become a real estate mogul etc... I just feel for me, it's worth it to push those things back a little bit to be a kid, get drunk, party, and do the things "normal" kids do. When i look at this last month, it's tempting to play professionally. When i think about yesterday when i essenitally dropped a used civic that i havent found what i am going to do for the rest of my life yet [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]In any event, i wish you luck, and it could very well be the best thing for you.

Gabe

[/ QUOTE ]

are you younger than me? im 19 but it seems like you are moving into your freshman year which would make you 18.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:48 PM

Yeah i just turned 18 in August