Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2005, 03:16 AM

Default 52o -- I folded BPNK to a turn checkraise getting 17:1

I'd been at the table for about 30 hands, and the attendance was so irregular that I couldn't keep track. People were coming and going, coming and going. What I did know was that Button and MP2 were very loose. Unfortunately, UTG+1 was new, and I had no real read on him, although that's the read I wanted most during this hand.

The preflop, flop, and turn action should give you a good enough idea of what the table as a whole was like.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (7 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls, Hero folds.

What do you think?
Old 04-24-2005, 03:20 AM

Default Re: 52o -- I folded BPNK to a turn checkraise getting 17:1

Looks like a nice table, but why call the flop?
Old 04-24-2005, 03:21 AM

He was getting 12:1 on his call.
Old 04-24-2005, 03:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He was getting 12:1 on his call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh...I need to pay more attention to the pot size. What does BPNK mean BTW?
Old 04-24-2005, 04:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What does BPNK mean BTW?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bottom pair, no kicker.
Old 04-24-2005, 08:10 AM

It does seem like your two pair outs are no longer good and 2h might not be good either. I like the fold.
Old 04-24-2005, 08:15 AM

its very close, but i say its worth a call. if you catch your two on the river, a checkraise will net you more than enough implied odds to make your call correct. a 5 will make a calldown profitable despite being bad more often than not. one of your twos completes a flush, which is a problem, but not that big of a problem.

you should assume that a 5 on the river will win the pot for you 1/3 times, so you can estimate about 3 outs to win the hand, which is enough to call.
Old 04-24-2005, 11:19 AM

I would have folded this on the flop too.

Do you suggest calling because of 12:1 and the fact that he closes the betting? I.e. would you be more inclined to fold if there were 1 or 2 more to act behind him you?

Also, don't you think there is a pretty good chance he'll lose anyway if he hits his two pair or possibly even with trips? 12:1 or not, shouldn't you just pass here?
Old 04-24-2005, 11:23 AM

I wouldn't mind folding the turn for 1 bet but, since you called, I'd call the raise because it closes the action.
Old 04-24-2005, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't mind folding the turn for 1 bet

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I wondered about that too, when I posted the hand.

During the hand, I was thinking that no one was really acting like they had a hand as good as two pair yet, and I was also thinking that my cards were so low that if I caught on the river, it was unlikely to improve anyone else to an even better hand at the same time. However, I was a little bit concerned that UTG+1 might checkraise. Also, with so many people in, it's possible I should have been more concerned about someone having a backdoor flush draw (with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or something) that improved on the turn. The possibility that making two pair on the river would make a wheel for someone else also can't be completely ruled out. And at such a loose table, I'm not sure I should rule out hands like Q5s or even Q5o, either.

Anyway, I'm not sure, but I think the fact that I have the flop bettor left to act behind me when the action first gets back to me on the turn may swing the decision to a fold.

I haven't been playing much B&amp;M 3/6 lately, so I'm kind of out of practice, when it comes to handling very multiway turns like this one when I have a weak draw.