Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2005, 11:54 PM

Default flop decision

$50 NL
(6 max) (Real Money)
Seat 2 is the button
Total number of players : 6

Villain is aggressive and solid--pt stats 30/20. I'm about 25/8 and have been playing boring unimaginative abc poker. Villain's reraise means he's got a solid, made hand.

Seat 3: hero ( $74.25 )
Seat 6: villain ( $130.05 )

Mp1 limps; I limp on button 3s5s; sb completes; villain checks

** Dealing Flop ** [ Ts, 2d, 4s ]

sb checks.
villain bets [$1].
Mp1 calls [$1].
hero raises [$5].
sb folds.
villain raises [$14].
Mp1 folds.

Hero?
Old 04-07-2005, 03:46 PM

Default Re: flop decision

You are not folding this big draw so that leaves us with reraise or call. Í think a call here is your best play because of two things.

1. You have position.
2. A reraise will lead to you losing big pots to set/two pairs and ocasionall boats and win you small ones if villian was attenmpting a bluff.

If you dont improve on the turn I would fold to a pot bet, since the stacks aint big enought to get value if you hit the river. Probobly fold to less if board pairs, but that is very opponent dependant.
Old 04-07-2005, 03:57 PM

I disagree. How can you call a pot sized+ bet hoping to catch on the next card alone?
Old 04-07-2005, 04:37 PM

Yea, sounds stupid when you put it that way.
(I am tired and not really thinking clear). I will try to clarify my thoughts regarding call versus pushing.

The way I see it you take a big advantage away by pushing and that is position, with hero´s raise call I think (at these levels) that villian might have a hard time to put him on a draw. This will generate action if he hits as villian put him on a made hand.
With position he can view villians reaction to the call and turn card and make a play at the pot.

But I am a novice and I dont whant to go broke in an unraised pot.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I disagree. How can you call a pot sized+ bet hoping to catch on the next card alone?

[/ QUOTE ]

Its a 3/5 pot sized bet, not a pot sized+ bet (9 more to hero with 15 in the pot).

I'd push, but I'd push (which is a big overbet) with a set, too. Calling isn't good because the flush hitting will kill your action and, if you miss on the turn, you can't really call another big bet to see the river. If you push, you have some folding equity, not to mention the action you'll get on future hands pushing a draw like this if it gets shown down.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its a 3/5 pot sized bet, not a pot sized+ bet (9 more to hero with 15 in the pot).

I'd push, but I'd push (which is a big overbet) with a set, too. Calling isn't good because the flush hitting will kill your action and, if you miss on the turn, you can't really call another big bet to see the river. If you push, you have some folding equity, not to mention the action you'll get on future hands pushing a draw like this if it gets shown down.

[/ QUOTE ]

i also push. you will actually have the outs on the turn to call a pot-sized bet (15 outs = ~1/3 to hit), as long as you believe your 15 outs are good. you also have some implied odds in that you should get paid off on the end if you call a bet on the turn and the flush gets there b/c then the pot will be too big for villain to fold.

but there's too good a chance your action dies if you hit your flush on the turn, but villain should fold any 1-pair hand if you push now.