Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2004, 02:22 PM

Default Looking a gift horse in the mouth wrt ToonsVsZooVsSS

I have to admit that I probably wouldn't be making this post if I had made the final table. I busted out shortly before the break.

I am left with morning after scum feeling in my mouth following this tourney. I do not like True's interface at all. I think that it is hard ot follow the action since the far end of the table is so small, and I don't see any value in having it hide your cards. I think this is another example of trying too hard to mimic a real life situation in a computer game that is obviously not going to have the same capacity.

Still, I could deal with those things. What I can't is that this tournament, for which I had great hopes, has so little play (even barring the SNAFUs that occurred after I was eliminated). The pace was slow, so that we were getting less than 60 hands per hour. The blinds were rising every 13 minutes? At the KOTZ tourneys on P*, they actually extended the levels to 20 minutes for us. All the stake increases were doubling the blinds, I think. And since you start with only 1000 chips, this is a really fast structure. Might as well play a turbo at paradise. Any tournament that will eliminate more than 1/2 the players in less than 60 hands is much too fast. Most of the B&M tourneys I have played in, even small ones, are not this fast.

I hope that True will change their structure or allow us to adapt it, but barring that I hope I never play another tourney there,
Craig
Old 02-06-2004, 02:38 PM

Default Re: Looking a gift horse in the mouth wrt ToonsVsZooVsSS

Agreed. I had about an average stack (slightly less) when logical play dictated all-in or nothing and we hadn't even reached the break. Seems extreme for an 85 person tournament. I had played a SNG there for kicks, and the blind structure was even harsher, as they doubled every 10 minutes.
Old 02-06-2004, 02:55 PM

I was in a similar all-in or fold situation and went out in 40th. But like Bozeman, and Al in other threads, my main complaint was that their structure, combined with their software, took all the fun out of the tournament.

I am glad that True has accepted responsibility, refunding money, offering to set up a new tourney, but this morning I cashed out and deleted their software from my computer.

As much as I like the idea of Toons/SS/Zoo competition, I'll not be playing in any other events at True. The Wed/Thurs SNGs are much more fun and just about as good an opportunity to play against strong fields.
Old 02-06-2004, 04:44 PM

it is a particularly lousy structure for a field of good players. Basically only stars has anything that I could even tolerate, but they still may be unwilling or unable to set us up.

al
Old 02-06-2004, 04:46 PM

The wed SNG WAS tremendous fun. If stars can just set us up with a weekly private tourney I'll advertise for them for free myself.

al
Old 02-07-2004, 02:29 AM

Afternoon SNG is still one table, but evenings, I think we are filling 36 and leaving people out. Stars told me that after the WPT, (Like NOW?) they would be working on setting up private tourneys. I'd bet we could pull 50 the first week.

Doc
Old 02-07-2004, 02:43 AM

A nice 4 table SnG at 10.00 entry? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Now that would be worth playing!

Anyway I have to agree that it was a let down and really looked forward to playing. Maybe more Zoo and SS will come play on Wed or Thursdays.
Old 02-07-2004, 11:34 AM

Same idea, list under regular tourneys so all could enter, register up to an hour ahead of time. posted under a private name... ("FORE" ???? obviously, i can't spell the answer to 2+2=).

Liability of course is that with 2 18 player sng games 8 people win money. would not be that many with normal tournament structure.

Only speculation until stars gives us some indication that private tourns are a real possibility.

Doc