Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2004, 01:43 PM

Default Re: Results from my last 277 SnG\'s (Help?)

[ QUOTE ]
I am very disappointed, because I have always at lower buyins had a smoothly decreasing function, but now I am getting less than 15% 1st's. The drop from 2nd to 1st sems to be statistically significant. I realize that a good player will usually reach headsup without a chip lead, but it seems that the level of shorthanded play at these is reasonably good: no one seems to make the horrendous mistake of folding too many hands, while many did at the $55 level.

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts on this are if you are routinely reaching the heads up stage of these SnGs with a slight chip disadvantage then your numbers seem about right. SInce the blinds will often be so big by the time you get heads up there is often little room to outplay your opponent even if you are the better player, so if hes not the type to fold too often(and you say they are less common at this level) then you would expect the chip leader to win more often than not.
Old 02-05-2004, 04:52 PM

Hey Bozeman, I would really like some tips on how you play the $50+5s to get a 50% ROI. I get a 27% ROI over 300 tourneys and finding it difficult to rise above that plateau. How many hands do you play early (10/15, 15/30)? At what points do you change your level of aggression? How do you play after the flop? All of these are areas that I am looking to improve on --- for example, maybe playing a few more hands in the first few levels --- I generally complete in the SB if there is no raise, and I will play drawing hands like JT in late position but never in early position (I play only AQs, AK, or any pair in early-mid position) and I don't play anything in late position except AK or a pair after a raise in the early stages. Because of this, most of the time my chips are well below average when I get to the 50/100 blinds, and I have to make my move then. It seems to be almost random whether I will get blown out of the water when I make my move or will steal enough blinds or double up when somebody calls me and I win.

Old 02-06-2004, 04:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks all. Consensus seems to be that it is, as I expected (thus the ? in my help title), difficult to impossible to get 50% ROI here. What I'd like to know, is if it truly is impossible, since really difficult would still be a nice challenge.

The few data points that I have that suggest it may be possible: 1) long term ROI of 50% at $55's.
2) If I divide my results into bins for different playing times, I get results that are almost 1SD above $50/SnG for the best times (and results that are indistinguishable from breakeven for the worst times)

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to share your results binned by time?

eastbay
Old 02-06-2004, 01:25 PM

I'd rather not.
Old 02-06-2004, 01:37 PM

Hey booze how could I get those graphs like you got?
Old 02-06-2004, 01:51 PM

I always keep track of my exact finish place, since there might be some extra information in that. Being away from well stocked (in terms of mathematical analysis tools) computers, I used MicrosoftWorksSpreadsheet. It is not very good for the purpose, I needed to make a column for each finish place and use 1 for yes and 0 for no and then sum each column. And MWS is not very good at making graphs (even excel is better).

I am right in thinking that one has to put an image on the web (I use my ftp space) in order to link it into a 2+2 post?

Craig