Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2005, 04:29 PM

Default Re: I\'m lag and am in a bad spot, $50NL 6m

I don't think I will fold here. What hands do you put UTG on? He'd likely have raised with a better A if he is TAG like you say. Do you think he would raise you with KQ like that on the flop? If he had a set, I think he'd bet more to protect his hand on the turn with a str8 draw out there.

It is a difficult situation for sure, but I think I call the 1/3 pot turn bet and any reasonable river bet.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:12 PM

I have a loose agressive image, why should I check on BB with 1 limper and the SB completing and a pretty good chance to take down the pot right here and to top it off I have a AJ.

If anything, you should be more inclined to check AJo here when you have a LAG image, since you are more likely to end up in tough situations with this image. However, I agree that I didn't make myself clear in my original post. I merely meant to say that playing LAG doesn't justify raising anything. You may raise to deceive, get more money in the pot, bluff out better hands, gain information, give your opponent poor odds, but not because you are playing LAG. It may seem I contradict myself when I say what I am going to say next, but I am not. I would raise this preflop every day and twice on sundays, but not because I am playing LAG.

If you call the turn you have to call the river

No, you don't. It would depend on how much he bet and if you think he's giving you good enough odds to call. As it is, his turn bet is very weak and there's a good chance he's on a weaker ace and got scared when you called his raise.

if he is bluffing here he is gonna bet it again on the river

Not necessarily.

Why are you calling this turn bet?

For several reasons. His bet is very small, which gives me good odds to spike one of my outs, which may give me the best hand. That small bet also looks very weak, which leads me to believe that he may have a small ace that he got overaggressive with on the flop and now is scared when you called his raise. It may also be a stone cold bluff (not likely, though). Bottom line, though, is that he is giving me very good odds.

Seriously what the [censored], nothing but crappy advice with shortwinded responces with no justifications

Look above.

do you guys even read the post and think about it for more than 5 seconds before you make a decision?

Sometimes.

Dumle
Old 11-18-2005, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You won’t take it down right there because you are playing $50NL. Just because you are playing LAG does not mean you can’t check with AJ in the blinds. This is idiotic and your hand is a perfect example why playing big pots with AJ from the blinds is a bad idea. Additionally, you will keep your opponents guessing when you are raising with 107o in the cutoff, but checking your option with AJ. Position is everything. You played this hand very poorly and unnecessarily bloated a pot that could have been much smaller and manageable. You may have the best hand on the turn, but it almost impossible to tell. Just my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

position is everything, especially when your playing like a LAG
Old 11-18-2005, 08:43 PM

Playing LAG doesn't mean raising marginal hands from terrible positions. I play LAG however I don't raise with aj,aq from the blinds. Raising with 88,99,1010, from the blinds is more effective than AJ. Raising with 108s from Hijack is better than raise ajo from the sb. Btw fold the hand.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is why I don't raise with AJ out of the blinds. Nice job building a pot for the villain.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am playing LAG, i'm not checking AJ anywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just wrong. This is a perfect spot to check. You are playing lag so this is the perfect time to check. Check to opponents means "lag has trash." Checking you are much less likely to have to worry about a large pot and/or kicker trouble when you get action since "He would have raised an ace."