Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2005, 06:47 AM

Default Re: JJ, too timid?

If he calls a pot sized flop bet what do you put him on? My guess, he has an overpair too as he raised preflop. AA-QQ and your sunk, TT or 99 and your good. Reads are now important but with none I check the turn and probably fold to a strong bet. I just cant see much that calls here that you beat. The way you played it though is an invitation to steal. Hell now I'm much less certain than I was.

Why this line sucks is clearly that I am OOP with a suspect holding. I bet the pot on the flop and built a pot that it's going to be scary to play. Playing big pots OOP is how you go broke. Don't listen to me, I'm a walking contradiction.

Problem is that if you aren't leading here you might let AK catch a free card to beat you etc. When someone calls it lets you know your situation is likely to be marginal. He thinks his hand is good enough to play and in this case his likely holding is similar to yours. For the average player raising 99 would be unlikely, even TT is often limped in so you are probably beat here if called. Oh what a tangled web.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:02 AM

I don't understand the fascination with blasting away at pots nonstop. What was the board here? Like 884 rainbow? Betting huge just means you lose more money. If $3 will pick up the pot when the other guy has no hand, then why bet more? Or, if he'll call $3 with hands you beat... then why bet more? Building big pots out of position on ridiculously dry boards with marginal holdings is just chip spewing.

With that said, betting for information makes no sense if your opponent tells you that you have two outs and you go ahead and put more money in the pot.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:50 AM

I would have bet atleast $5 on the flop.

The less then half pot bet screams "I dont know where I stand"

I like the suggestion of a pot bet is good here.

A solid bet like that OOP, shows strength. Id consider playing back at the $3 with AK in position here, but $7 I quickly decide to not mess around. Wouldnt seem likely a raise would get me anything but trouble.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:32 AM

NH sir, NH
Old 11-18-2005, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i would fold this pf. he might have AQs.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-18-2005, 11:37 AM

Way too timid. Play lower stakes if your afraid here. Im crammin and jamming this all day all night....
Old 11-18-2005, 11:45 AM

If you were going to fold to a bet on the Turn after a blank hit, why would you call the raise on the Flop? Calling that raise meant you think you're ahead. You should have lead out on the Turn. If raised again, you can lay it down.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand the fascination with blasting away at pots nonstop. What was the board here? Like 884 rainbow? Betting huge just means you lose more money. If $3 will pick up the pot when the other guy has no hand, then why bet more? Or, if he'll call $3 with hands you beat... then why bet more? Building big pots out of position on ridiculously dry boards with marginal holdings is just chip spewing.

With that said, betting for information makes no sense if your opponent tells you that you have two outs and you go ahead and put more money in the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please define marginal holding? Someone opened from MP, and you have JJ? This is marginal? The flop comes down 884, I don't see how you can be so weak tight.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:06 PM

I would reraised preflop like 8.. I usually reraise pre with JJ just to get some info. If he calls you assume he has overcards, giving you information that your JJ is good. However, if he is a tricky player he could have AA or KK and just call your reraise. With a reraise preflop I think you control of the hand, without a raise you playing blind. I do believe there are some tricky players at 100nl but without a read I'd say you mucked the best hand.
My line would;
Preflop reraise to 8, if he reraises that you can assume AA or KK and safely fold. If he calls assume he has ak or aq, with a small chance he has a monster. Pot is $17
On the flop I would led out with a $13 bet. If he reraises that you can easily fold. If he calls he fairly obvious he has ak or aq and is chasing.

I do play JJ a little more agressive then others because I LAG it up a litte more.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:41 PM

What if he's got a hand like AK? If you only bet $3 then he's getting the correct price to call. You need to at least bet enough to make it incorrect for him to draw out on you if you're ahead.

Edit: Too timid, yeah.