Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2005, 08:54 AM

Default TD Bustout Hand

I'm curious what others do here: my bustout hand from this morning's 24h tourney.

I have about 3 big bets in my stack, and I'm eleventh of thirteen with ten paying. Both of the big stacks are at my table, and we're playing 4-handed, so I need to hurry.

I'm in the SB with 765xx and it's folded to me, second big stack in the BB. He's been able to fold absolute crap before, so I raise, he calls. I draw two and get T8, he draws 3. I bet, he raises, I figure I'm committed so 3-bet and he puts me allin. I discard the T and draw a 3, he stands pat. We both stand pat, he shows #5, and IGHN.

Obviously I'm less than comfortable with this hand, but I don't really see what I could have done differently.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:34 AM

Default Re: TD Bustout Hand

I have no problem with your line on this hand. With huge blinds and short tables, you really can't wait for a pat hand or premium draw or you will blind yourself to death.

If your goal was to stagger into the money and finish 10th in this tourney and make a euro or two, then you could be a lamer and stall/fold until the bubble bursts. I don't see that anyone trying to comeback and win (or at least finish high) has any choice but to play this hand. 87 is usually good enough against those donks, you were just unlucky he drew so well.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
87 is usually good enough against those donks, you were just unlucky he drew so well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't run into anyone who didn't know it was lowball today. A few people with kind of weird standards, but mostly solid play.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm curious what others do here: my bustout hand from this morning's 24h tourney.

I have about 3 big bets in my stack, and I'm eleventh of thirteen with ten paying. Both of the big stacks are at my table, and we're playing 4-handed, so I need to hurry.

I'm in the SB with 765xx and it's folded to me, second big stack in the BB. He's been able to fold absolute crap before, so I raise, he calls. I draw two and get T8, he draws 3. I bet, he raises, I figure I'm committed so 3-bet and he puts me allin. I discard the T and draw a 3, he stands pat. We both stand pat, he shows #5, and IGHN.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like the 2nd round 3-bet here vs. a bigger stack, although the bet is obviously fine. With 8765x you are drawing pretty rough and maybe dead--- it is unlikely you can force a break here (and might still lose badly since you've got 8 very bad cards out there waiting for you.)

If you had about 3 big bets to start, you've put in 1.5 BB and have about 1.5 BB left, enough to raise to enter on another hand. The pot is 3.5 BB and it costs you 0.5 BB to see another card, or 1.5 BB to commit to winning 4.5 BB.

I don't think you have sufficient equity to commit here if you can't stay pat with your T. If you were already pat with an 8, then 3-bet and hope for the best. But with this lously draw, I would either call and fold the next round UI (keeping your made 87 at that point is fine, although you would then have the information that villian is pat) or just fold. With three hands (including the next big blind, and likely position on two of those hands) I think you can find a better investment for the remaining 1.5 BB.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I didn't run into anyone who didn't know it was lowball today. A few people with kind of weird standards, but mostly solid play.

[/ QUOTE ]
The first hand at my table featured two-pair taking the pot from a full house. The full house guy stayed confused until he got knocked out but everybody else seemed to figure out what was going on pretty quickly.

I managed to back into the money with a fairly short stack and with a little luck hung on until 5th place. Thought I might get farther right at the end - I got all-in before the 1st draw with 2467x but couldn't manage to draw better than a jack.

I've never played TD anywhere but at 24h but I'm guessing the competition is probably a little tougher elsewhere...
Old 08-26-2005, 06:42 PM

Too many triple draw penguins about. I figured I knew you from somewhere, since there aren't many Americans around. Just had the wrong one.

The nice thing about tapirs is, they're hard to confuse.