Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2005, 02:49 PM

Default Flop checkup

Party 3/6

Two slightly loose limpers to an unknown LP player who raises. I call in the BB with 8c8d. Limpers call.

Flop is Jd 9d 6d. Check/fold or checkraise?

-McGee
Old 11-05-2005, 03:00 PM

Default Re: Flop checkup

I bet/fold flop, check/fold turn.
Old 11-05-2005, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why. The limpers are loose. They will call with some hands we beat and many we don't. We'll learn a lot more about what they have if we check and see them act, and then the LP raiser act. If it is checked to the raiser, we can safely C/R to isolate and then see how things play out. I don't want to be anything but heads-up with this holding.

Er, nevermind. Didn't see that the frop was monotone. I guess bet/call + check/fold seems fine.
Old 11-05-2005, 03:06 PM

My guess is that we're probably beat given the board with 3 loose opponents. Our only redraw is to the idiot end of a gutshot. If we think we could get rid of the limpers by check-raising, then I'd say go for it, and then either lead out on the turn or check/call to the river if the preflop raiser calls our raise or 3-bets us respectively.

However, it's more likely that the two limpers are conventional SS players (likely) and will call our two bets with middle pair or overcards. We're going to have to showdown the best hand. If that's so OR if one of them bets the flop be4 the preflop raiser, we should cave. Pot isn't so large it's worth that much effort to chase.

If the preflop raiser didn't protect his hand properly and we felt like we weren't gonna get popped, we could probably take one off to see if we caught the miracle 8 or picked up an open-ender on the turn. That could get real expensive though, we're on the bottom end of it.

Oops, I didn't see the diamonds either. I therefore vote we move on...
Old 11-05-2005, 03:18 PM

Hi Aces i vote check/raise.
Old 11-05-2005, 03:18 PM

Sucks to be out of position with this marginal hand. Check and see what develops. I'd like to show this hand down for as little as possible, fold if it's two back to you.

Fishlips
Old 11-05-2005, 03:28 PM

I think its check/fold on this flop given the fact that you probably wont be able to get the limpers off middle pair. Also with 2 cards in the zone there will be many straight draws possible and if by chance your hand is good now I think it won't hold up in this crowd no matter how played.

I think check-raising this flop is semi/spewing and just overaggressive
Old 11-05-2005, 07:45 PM

Is it bad that I 3-bet this preflop? My main reason for doing this is so I can take the lead, even without position, forcing my opponents to have to make the tough decisions.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I'm going to continue playing, I'd like to be up against as few people as possible. Betting this flop allows stray 9s and something like the ten of diamonds between me and the preflop raiser to stick around cheaply.

What's the argument for betting the flop?

-McGee
Old 11-07-2005, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it bad that I 3-bet this preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if it's bad, but I never do it in this spot. Against three opponents, your hand isn't going to be best on the flop all that often. And there are certain advantages to having the preflop raiser on your right with a holding like 88.

-McGee