Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 09:51 PM

Default Sklansky\'s \"improving the system\" anyone tried this?

I tried a system proposed by Sklansky in Tournament Poker for Advanced Players in a 5+0.50 45 player SNG this evening. The main point of the system was to go all in or fold every hand. (you choose good hands to go all-in with) I played 3 hands prior to heads up play and doubled up, tripled up and doubled up in those hands. I played regular once I was heads up and won the whole thing. Has anyone else tried his "system" if so what were the results?
Old 10-21-2005, 04:44 AM

Default Re: Sklansky\'s \"improving the system\" anyone tried this?

Im normally quite comfortable playing STT and I also normally use a similar system....its not quite all in or fold but the idea is to be extra selective...then extra aggresive....

Pre flop
All in...AA/KK
Big Raise AK/QQ
Limp in... Any other Pair/Suited Ace/Suited connectors

and then if you hit your flop again all in is the proposed strategy.... I prefer to play out big hands myself instead of scaring them off at the flop.. but again it depends on the level of your opponents.

And that strategy is when the table is loaded until you get down to shorthanded play...where you change gears... you guys probably know more about what to do anyway lol [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Tom [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-21-2005, 03:39 PM

Yes, I tried it for a while. Results were surprisingly good, even in enormous MTTs. Ultimately, I think it was useful as a learning tool for short stack thinking.

But I believe one needs to move on and develop one's game more fully to be a true winner in the long run.

-ptmusic
Old 10-21-2005, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pre flop
All in...AA/KK
Big Raise AK/QQ

[/ QUOTE ]

This does not seem to be the most profitable way to play AA/KK. Are you simply looking to steal blinds or hoping for loose calls?

John
Old 10-21-2005, 06:59 PM

The system is only useful for complete novices as a way to avoid postflop disasters and generally making decsisions and therefore mistakes.

When the money gets shallow, I often play push/fold. It is good for a player whose strengths are logical/strategic/odds, as well as general reads on the situation, table, and players.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pre flop
All in...AA/KK
Big Raise AK/QQ

[/ QUOTE ]

This does not seem to be the most profitable way to play AA/KK. Are you simply looking to steal blinds or hoping for loose calls?

John

[/ QUOTE ]

Loose calls [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] the guide was aimed at lower buy in STT where the standard of players is below average... where you would get those calls and double or triple up quickly.
Old 10-22-2005, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I tried a system proposed by Sklansky in Tournament Poker for Advanced Players in a 5+0.50 45 player SNG this evening. The main point of the system was to go all in or fold every hand. (you choose good hands to go all-in with) I played 3 hands prior to heads up play and doubled up, tripled up and doubled up in those hands. I played regular once I was heads up and won the whole thing. Has anyone else tried his "system" if so what were the results?

[/ QUOTE ]

This system was designed for someone that never played poker before and had to learn in a flash. It's a very simple system that, as you can see, does work when executed properly. The downfall using this system is you never learn any real poker skills beyond the preflop push. There's a lot of strategy involved in a good game and you're missing out by using this system. While you may have had good results on a small scale, solid poker playing will carry you much farther in the long run.