Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2005, 09:46 PM

Default Stop/Loss- When to Quit

I am wondering if I should employee a stop/loss method to decide when to quit a session of 10/20 Limit. EX: If I am ahead 10 BB and I lose 5 BB on the next hand should I quit to maintain my profit. Most of the articles I read say not to do this but, it seems to never fail that I get ahead and then get 2-3 big hands cracked and end up losing.

Thanks,

Greg
Old 10-10-2005, 09:51 PM

Default Re: Stop/Loss- When to Quit

Theoretically you should keep playing as long as you have an edge on your competition. As long as you don't change your game, it shouldn't matter when you stop.

Stop whenever you want to.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am wondering if I should employee a stop/loss method to decide when to quit a session of 10/20 Limit. EX: If I am ahead 10 BB and I lose 5 BB on the next hand should I quit to maintain my profit. Most of the articles I read say not to do this but, it seems to never fail that I get ahead and then get 2-3 big hands cracked and end up losing.

Thanks,

Greg

[/ QUOTE ]

Greg,

I don't think this is a good idea. You should continute to play in games where you have a positive edge. Conversely, you should cease playing in games where you do not have an edge over the competition (as I think may be the case here).

What happens if you go down 10BB in the beginning of a session?
Old 10-11-2005, 08:04 AM

A key in those situations is identifying whether those first 10 bb are a result of you beating the table or running lucky. Being critical of your winning too is what allows you to implement a correct system of quitting. It really comes down to evaluating your table even after you've started playing. If those 5bb you lose are really just a correction factor to how much you should really be winning/losing, leave the table. It's not difficult conceptually but actually leaving a table after winning because you actually DONT have an edge can save you more money than a regular stop/loss system. It's a terrible feeling to know that you bounced up and got lucky but then let it get sucked slowly away by a table where it isn't hard to tell you're vulnerable.
bosox
Old 10-11-2005, 08:15 PM

If you start playing worse because you lost a boatload of money, quit. If you can't spot two or more people at your table who you're definitely better than, quit.