Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2005, 08:45 PM

Default Flash to pass?

Arizona is one of the worst states for driving, partially because of people doing the speed limit (or slightly under) in the passing lane. Since most of the highways in northern AZ are 2 lanes in each direction, I constantly find myself coming up fast behind someone while they're doting along in the left lane. Now, there are 4 ways to handle this situation, IMO:

1. Deal with it
2. Pass on the right
3. Tailgate
4. Flash your brights 2-3 times

I prefer #4, in that it's a safe and, in my opinion, a civilized way of asking someone to move to the right to allow you to pass. But, 90% of the people that see me flashing brights take it as a personal attack to their masculinity. I've been flipped off, yelled at, stared down, have had people cut back into my lane and tailgate me, etc. It's very aggravating.

I'm not sure how effective this technique is in other states. Does anyone do this with any good success?
Old 07-10-2005, 08:50 PM

Default Re: Flash to pass?

the problem with flashing is that you also have to tailgate while doing it, just so they see you... that said, if someone flashes me, i let them pass, but i still think they are tools.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:56 PM

I usually come up behind them (close, but not dangerously close) and give them a few seconds to get their act together. If they haven't moved over by then, I blow by them on right. Passing quickly achieves two things: it's more safe, and it clearly illustrates to them that they are being a slow dickhead.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I usually come up behind them (close, but not dangerously close) and give them a few seconds to get their act together. If they haven't moved over by then, I blow by them on right. Passing quickly achieves two things: it's more safe, and it clearly illustrates to them that they are being a slow dickhead.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is good. passing on the right should only be done occasionally.

bk
Old 07-10-2005, 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but i still think they are tools.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm interested in why this is.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:31 PM

As I was driving home a few weeks ago, I had no problem getting through KY and WV. Most people stay to the right when they're not passing. Then all of a sudden I get into MD and everyone's in the left lane. There's like a huge line of cars in the left lane and the right lane is sparsely populated with cars travelling only slightly slower than the traffic on the left. I remembered then why driving in MD pisses me off. AZ can't be that bad.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:32 PM

In reality (u.s.a.), passing on the right is probably the best play. The morons cruising in the otherwise open left lane are too oblivious.

In an ideal world (or germany), flashing your brights would be the best.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:21 PM

Flashing the brights is the way to go. Those who don't move over should die.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:40 PM

I vote for slight tailgating at first, but after 5 seconds and if possible I just pass on the right.

Bright-flashing should only be used as a last resort. I mean, I think I'm more important than everyone else as much as the next guy, but sadly the language of not-bright/ bright doesn't really convey that.

I find that states where idiots do this it is best to act like it's opposite day, all the idiots are going to ride the left lane anyway so make use of the right lane.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:11 AM

I find that most people will move after a few seconds of being right behind them. If not, I quickly go by them on the right to let them know they are driving too slow for that lane.