Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker

Old 11-22-2005, 06:09 AM

Default Re: great, now i\'m the a-hole boyfriend

[ QUOTE ]
really? so if everyone tried to argue that 2-pair beat 3 of a kind, you would just give in?
as far as the wrong forum. i'm not sure this even falls into one of the forums. i was just wondering if any who plays full-time has had problems explaining basic rules in a friendly game. i did feel bad afterwards which i guess is why it's still on my mind. even though the girl who complained showed up with $5 and someone else covered for her and she didn't even know what beats what and one of the other girls came with her husband and 2 kids and her husband got so drunk he quit in the middle of the game and someone had to drive him home and then come back.
everyone agreed after that it worked better the way we did it. it was just the one friend who complained. but it was enough to make me feel bad about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

People are idiots, expect nothing, never be disappointed. They managed to [censored] up a perfectly simple game and then somehow blame you, if I was you I would pass on playing with these fools next time, you are the only one who has a clue and they should have taken your advice in good faith.

Mack
Old 11-22-2005, 08:01 AM

Next time go to the movies and let the girls play however they want. If you were married this problem wouldn't have come up, you would have known to be long gone before the guests arrived.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:06 AM

I agree. I live with my brother and he has friendly games at our house every so often. I go down and drink a few beers with the guys but I cant honestly checkraise one of my buddies 3 streets in a row just cause I know he'll go for it and then go to the bar with him the next night. I cant bring myself to soft play these guys either so I just sit out and socialize. I dont really need to spend my liesure time playing cards anyway.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

It really sounds like you tried to get them all to convert to what you thought was right. Even though it's clearly correct, being the one vs. everyone else is an a-hole thing to do. Period.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it's not. He obviously knows more about poker than some random dicks off the street and thus they should understand what he is doing is for the best, rather than give opinions they know nothing about.

The person who called to complain to your girlfriend was a dick.

FWIW, playing for money against her friends while they know you play a fair amount of poker is just going to go awfully. You spend all your night screaming 'you can't check!!' and if you win you seem like a dick. I usually just agree to play everyone of my hands bt then try to play somewhat decent after that.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It really sounds like you tried to get them all to convert to what you thought was right. Even though it's clearly correct, being the one vs. everyone else is an a-hole thing to do. Period.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. He didn't think he was right, he was right.

Don't let anyone's opinion of you color your objective opinion. If you are right, then stick to it.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i didn't say another word all night.

[/ QUOTE ]

Best move of the night.

Also, I hope you won!? I hope you knocked out the complainer.

Hey - you tried, if "people" want to play a game that makes little sense, so be it.

As for the betting $1 into a $15 pot - better for you!
Old 11-22-2005, 08:37 AM

Default Dude, did you win?

n/m
Old 11-22-2005, 08:56 AM

Why not just let them play the way they want to? They won't notice the difference between structures anyway.

You have to pick your fights and the issue of a girlfriends home game should start with 20 or 10 in chips should be auto-muck from you. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-22-2005, 09:44 AM

Default You are a total ass. She should leave you.

Why don't you go play in a real game as opposed to annoying some young ladies who just want to have a good time and don't really care about your little technicalities.

Step up and play with people your own size, big shot.

TSP
Old 11-22-2005, 09:46 AM

With poker becoming so popular, pretty much everyone is playing it. Most of these people have NO idea how the game is actually set up or played. A lot of people buy into the $10 buy in, $10 in chips theory. Sure, it makes no sense to us but it makes perfect sense to them. Try to casually tell them that this is a bad structure and why it's a bad structure.

I'd say one of the worst parts of dealing with other people's home games is dealing with other's blinds strucutures. Trying to convince people that doubling the blinds every 10 minutes is not a fun way to play is like trying to pull teeth. As people start to learn the game though, they begin to understand why it's not such a good idea. I've just learned to deal with it. I won't play for anything more than $10 with a poor blind structure/starting chips and luckily most of the people I play with know that a good structure makes the game more fun.