Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2005, 01:24 PM

Default What is a donk ?

I know it's short for donkey, but what is the definition of "Donk"?

How is a donk different from a fish?

How is a donk different from a maniac?

Fishlips
Old 10-10-2005, 01:37 PM

Default Re: What is a donk ?

This is a donk...

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, MP1 calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls.

River: (9.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls.

Final Pot: 13.25 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
MP1 has Ad 3h (three of a kind, kings).
Hero has Qc Kc (four of a kind, kings).
Outcome: Hero wins 13.25 BB. </font>
Old 10-10-2005, 01:39 PM

I think that the term donk is usually used to describe the circumstances in which a bet is made.

A donk bet is typically a bet from a player, who showed no agression on a previous betting round, into the player who did bet on the previous street.

i.e. the player check/calls a flop bet, then bets into the original flop better on the turn.

A fish is the description for a player, who usually plays a high proportion of their hands, seldom bets or raises, but usually calls other players' bets and raises on most streets. Fish like to check and call a lot.

A maniac is the term for a loose agressive player. A maniac likes to play most of their hands, and they enjoy betting and raising on most streets. Some are more agressive than others and they love bluffing with almost hopeless hands in desperate attempts to win big pots, which they have helped to create.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:39 PM

I consider 'donk' to be kind of the catch-all. So maniacs, fish, uber-LAGs, etc are all donks in their own special way.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:46 PM

So a stop-and-go would be a donk bet?

Fishlips
Old 10-10-2005, 02:04 PM

A "stop n go" is when a player bets, is raised, then calls the raise on a betting round.

Then that player bets into the previous round's raiser on the next street.

So in the hand example shown earlier in this post, I think MP1 did a "stop n go" on both the turn and river.

You could also say that MP1 donk bet the flop, but the donk bet description is usually used for turn and river bets.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:24 PM

Nice example, Triple.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:42 PM

i have a different opinion because i "donk" bet a lot and don't use the term to define a player and consider it a very effective tool in my arsenal.

a "donk" bet is an unexpected bet (basically "to bet out unexpectedly"). ie: when someone bets into a preflop raiser on the flop or someone check/calls a flop and then bets out the turn.

when used well, it can be very effective both for bluffs, bet/3-bets, and simple confusion. it is also an integral part in my reads when someone donkbets whether they bluff with it or delay a strong hand on the flop or do it when their draw comes in. very important to me.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:02 PM

This is also my preferred def. of a donk and since good players use it as well don't think of it exclusively as a play bad players make, though they do use it more often.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:10 PM

Since donks stubbornly bet out even and refuse to acknowledg ethe strength of your hand after you've shown aggression on prior streets, perhaps the term comes from how stubborn real flesh-and-fur donkeys actually are. I don't know, just a thought. Any opinions on this?