Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 02:24 PM

Default Re: How Volatile is Party 2/4 Hold\'EM

I think you're a losing player. 325BB is a big downswing in the beginning of a career. If it had come after 10,000 hands of winning play I'd be slightly more optimistic that you're a winner.

If I were you I'd move down to the .50/1 game and study your ass off in the micro forum until you beat it like a drum for 10,000 hands. Then play 10,000 winning 6-max hands while studying your ass off in the HUSH forum. Once you are handling the 1/2 6-max game you should be ready to dominate the 2/4. Good luck.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:39 PM

Keep playing. As much as you can. Play, post, ponder. Rinse and repeat. You probably just aren't good enough to consistently win yet, I know I'm not. Give it time. You'll get there. 100BB could just be a fluctuation, but you should probably just worry about improving. If you start to sweat your bankroll, think about getting a job (if you don't already have one). Playing less than 2/4 for anything other than bonuses is incredibly difficult long-term.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
after analyzing my play I found some leaks that, while running good are difficult to notice but when the cards turn it was the mistakes I was making were perfectly obvious.

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP.

[/ QUOTE ]Yes they were fairly obvious after the fact. But at the time I was not looking as hard for them so they were not as obvious.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:01 PM

I would suggest you buy Middle Limit Holdem Poker by Ciaffone and Brier. I think it is the best limit holdem book available. Middle limit holdem gives excellent advice how to handle pots were there are mainly somehow decent players in the pot.

I live in Europe and play usually around 11 am - 4 pm EST and I face great many regulars.

In the U.S daytime in good Party 2/4 $ table there is usually only 2-3 really bad players in the table, sometimes only 1-2. Rest of the bunch have some idea about the game and you need fighting skills to win extra pots against typical Party 2/4 $ player.

Almost all of your profits comes from poor players, but you cannot afford to loose money (after rake) to regulars if you want to be successful.

Only playing full ring it is hard to develop toughness needed to handle heads up and 3 handed pots against TAGs. If you want to improve limit your holdem, short-handed play is good practice. In short-handed tables you can learn to fight hard every chip and not to lose iniative too easily. For example in Crypto and Pokerstars you can find pretty soft short-handed 2/4 $ games. Cryptos offer nice monthly bonuses too.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:53 AM

As mentioned after the first couple thousand hands, I realized that I was calling down too much.
Below are my stats for the 6000 hands
VP$IP: 20.3
PFR: 8.66
AGG: 2.36

Just the last 2000 hands:
VP$IP:19.38
PFR: 7.88
AGG: 4.10

I don't think I am playing too many starting hands, I believe I am probably still going too far with them.

-Shaggy
Old 10-05-2005, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In the U.S daytime in good Party 2/4 $ table there is usually only 2-3 really bad players in the table, sometimes only 1-2. Rest of the bunch have some idea about the game and you need fighting skills to win extra pots against typical Party 2/4 $ player.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I need to tighten up my table selection criteria until I improve myself. The SSHE preflop strategies seem to be geared towards games where approx 4-5 players see the flop, I wouldn't say that the party 2/4 games I have played in averaged that. Maybe 3-4 players seeing the flop. I am probably playing too loose for this game. The middle limit hold'em book is most likely a good recommendation. I will pick it up. When I finish re-reading SSHE I plan to read HPFAP which I have already purchased. I will then read the Ciaffone book.

Thanks
Old 10-05-2005, 12:06 PM

What were these leaks you noticed?

Fishlips
Old 10-05-2005, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just wanted to clarify the reasoning behind this post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you. I should have put more thought into my post. I meant what you said.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:45 PM

Default Try Bad Beat Jackpot 2/4

I know there is an extra rake for the Bad Beat Jackpot
But - the number of fish per table is higher.

ie. Many people playing whose primary motivation is to hit the jackpot.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As mentioned after the first couple thousand hands, I realized that I was calling down too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's your WtSD%. Too high of number indicates your are calling down too much. it should be somewhere 30-33%. You may find thisthread helpful. Keep in mind though, 6000 hands are VERY small sample size.

Also, to spot leak, you may want to read thisarticle. I found this article very helpful.