Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2005, 01:43 PM

Default Tight table questions

I was playing 1/2 limit holdem at Party this Saturday morning and the table was tight...18% VPIP with a preflop raise of 8%. I didn't leave because this looked like a good chance to hone my skills against players at least as good as me.

My question is this: How do you win at this type of table?

My stats:
200 hands
down 12 big bets.
VPIP: 13.4%
PFR%: 9.9%
Attempt to steal blinds : 22%

Fishlips
Old 09-10-2005, 02:02 PM

Default Re: Tight table questions

If I was playing at a tight table, I would try to do the following:

Continue to be very selective about my starting hand requirements, so that I was less vulnerable to domination.

I would also look for as many opportunities to try to steal the blinds as possible, (with decent stealing hands). Of course you would also need to consider how strongly your opponents will defend their blinds.

As a consequence of the above, I expect that I would tend to open raise much more often than I open limped.

When I did play a hand, I would also look for opportunities where it might be profitable to semi-bluff or raise for a free card against my tight opponents.

Generally speaking, the more passive your opponents are, the easier it should be to successfully steal blinds, semi-bluff and raise for free cards etc.

Against tight and agressive opponents, it would naturally become more difficult, because those players would in theory be playing in a similar way to you.

Those are some of the things, which I would consider when sitting on a tight table.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you are asking about 1/2, the table is most probably weak-tight and most of the players are not good. So, I would get very loose and aggressive WITH POSITION and try to keep the pressure on the weak-tight players. If you think you have superior postflop skills to your opponents, then you can afford to play in a lot more marginal spots and expect to make a profit. Essentially, you have to try win every pot when both you and your opponents miss the flop, and only let them have pots when they have a good holding.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically you can't win a lot at these tables. The rake is staggering in these low limit games, and hard to overcome against tight opponents. That being said against weak-tight opponents you should be you should be stealing and semi-bluffing more. You should be more apt to get out of the way when they show aggression, as there hands are stronger than ususal.

Against a table of tight aggressives you should just not play, unless you're really interested in working on your game, hand-reading, picking up tells etc. If you play with 9 equally good players everyone is going to be a -2BB/100 loser.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:22 PM

If you are not used to playing these types of tight tables I'd recommend:

1. Make it your only table, and pay close attention.
2. Ease up on some of the uber-agressive techniques in early position. It isn't a crime to dump ATo in MP1.
3. Step on the gas in CO, Button wherever it is reasonable. Expect to be played back at, and don't call down with Jack high.
4. If you have any cold-calling in your game, put it aside for the day.
5. If your game enjoys the benefits of limping small pocket pairs and suited aces in early position, it won't be beneficial at these tables. You'll pay 2 bets pre-flop, and won't be able to extract as well if you do hit.
6. You make money at poker by playing better cards against worse players. You don't make it by playing worse cards against better players. Expect a grind. Your swings may be smaller, but so will your profit.
7. Stay aware of the cost of the blinds. If you are running cold, and aren't seated where you can grab some blinds it's going to be a long boring losing session.
8. Remember there are hundreds of other tables with folks ready to play you. Don't feel you need to prove something to yourself.
Old 09-10-2005, 10:30 PM

You make it sound so easy. Would YOU lay down an unimproved AK against a LAG who either raises your flop bet or bets the flop when you check? Or a loose passive who calls your flop bet, then bets the turn when you check? What does it take to make an opponent lay down unimproved overcards?

I agree with what you're saying, but 'the devil is in the details'. Getting LAG, (or maybe loose passive) with position seems to be the strategy against the TAG's. And observing who's more weak-tight makes picking your spots (to make a move) more fruitful.

In HPFAP, S&M recommend that when playing in extremely tight tables, that you forego stealing preflop and instead opt for stealing on the flop or turn. What do you think of that tactic?

Fishlips
Old 09-10-2005, 10:32 PM

play tighter against early raises and 3-bets/caps preflop.

other than not i do nothing different.
Old 09-10-2005, 10:40 PM

1. Yup, I was only playing one table.

2. Yup, I as playing super tight in EP/MP by dumping the offsuit broadways except for AK and AQ. With AJo, I'd open raise from MP1, limp behind an early limper, and fold to an early position raise.

3. I was weak in the CO...I may need to loosen up a bit. Not sure wether it's better to be agro or passive in general though.

4. I hate cold calling generally.

5. Dumped small PP and suited aces in EP.

6.7.8. I'm not trying to PROVE anything to myself, but I am tring to IMprove my game. Occasionally going up against players who might be better than me is one way to do that. They might not have been better than me, they may just have been the good-ole ROCK (althought some were certainly aggy).

Thanks,

Fishlips
Old 09-10-2005, 10:43 PM

That sounds too easy, but it's worth a shot.

Thanks

Fishlips
Old 09-10-2005, 10:44 PM

I never played 1/2 full. Moved straight to 2/4. It's a much better game (Party)