Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 07-05-2005, 05:16 PM

Default Re: Advice for college

Don't pick a major based upon job prospects. Even if you think you know what you want to major in, take a variety of classes. Find the one(s) where you enjoy doing the homework and reading, and make that your major - and career.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:30 PM

Like others have said, meet lots of ppl (read: girls) and try new things. I lived in the biggest dorm on campus freshman year and my roommate and I went to every female floor and met all the girls. This is very important.

Also, if you didn't like who you were in high school, this is your chance to do something about it. In HS I was shy, not w/ the "in" crowd. At college I ran for president of my dorm, 460 kids lived there, nearly twice the size of my senior class in HS and I won the election. Stupid position really but it helped me to meet lots of ppl, mostly girls.

So try new things.

Oh yea, go skydiving w/ a bunch of friends when you're a senior, right before graduation. It's a kick ass bonding experience.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:32 PM

One more thing, avoid a relationship. Chances that you'll marry a college g/f are very slim. Have fun and hook up w/ any girl you want whenever you want.

And if you cheat on a g/f while on Spring Break, for god's sake do not tell her about it.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

And if you cheat on a g/f while on Spring Break, for god's sake do not tell her about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Learned the hard way?

Anyways, thanks all. Lotta things here I hadn't really thought of. Man I can't wait for college..
Old 07-05-2005, 05:50 PM

Here's all you need to know.

Classes: nothing before eleven.

Beer: it's your best friend, you drink a lot of it.

Women? you're a freshman, so that's pretty much out of the question.

Will you have a car?

[You:] Um, no

Well someone on your floor will, find them and make friends with them on the first day.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:51 PM

1. Study what you enjoy. It will be much easier and you will learn more.

2. Don't sweat all the supposedly required courses for B-school, law, etc. Other than the staples for med school and maybe a math and econ class to show you can do basic math you can major in anything and still do almost all grad schools including med, law and B-school.

3. College is easy if you have good study habits. So do this: every morning before lunch go to class and get two hours of hard core studying done. Every day. By late lunch your day is yours and you will do better and get more done than 80-90% of your classmates without lifting another finger. I am not kidding. Do it alone. Read your notes after lecture and just imagine how you would explain it to a classmate and what you believe the prof will ask on the test.

4. Schedule a lot of lunches. With friends, girlfriends, whomever.

5. Find some activities you like. Take archery. Go rock climbing. Whatever you like. College is a phenomenal opportunity to do interesting things.

6. Find good friends.

7. Have fun.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:54 PM

Always wrap it and remember that health services offers the morning after pill if you have any slipups.

Blackjack
Old 07-05-2005, 05:58 PM

I don't get all this "go to class" sh!t. It's much more fun staying awake until 7 in the morning every day playing mario kart and goldeneye for shots and sleeping until 3 in the afternoon.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:01 PM

don't get into a serious relationship until your sophomore year. the odds are either a) you'll change so much it'll end badly, b) she'll change so much it'll end badly, or c) one of you won't come back soph year and it'll end badly. either way, it rarely works out and if it does, it's -EV for the rest of your college experience.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
8. No drinking after 2 PM on Sunday.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't you heard of this sport called football that is often televised on Sunday afternoons during the fall?