Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2005, 05:00 PM

Default does jim rome ever make any points?

all he does is say "who cares" without giving evidence. or makes giant, generally unsubstianted generalizations. he is by far the worst "sports" show on television.

rj
Old 09-29-2005, 05:02 PM

Default Re: does jim rome ever make any points?

I was just about to make a very similar post.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
all he does is say "who cares" without giving evidence. or makes giant, generally unsubstianted generalizations. he is by far the worst "sports" show on television.

rj

[/ QUOTE ]

I live in an area (Boston) who happens to have rabid, biased sports announcers. But at least they are generally knowledgable and intertaining. WEEI sports talk radio is the #1 rated radio station among adult men in Boston. it is an AM station. pretty unbelievable, considering Boston is a well educated, upscale city, that a sports talk station is #1.

Everyone here grew up with the best sports newspaper in the country (Boston Globe). Guys like Gammons, Montville, McDonough et al have all gone/went national, and largely become the superstars of their field.

The point of all this? Boston sports announcers/writers are generally much better then national bozos like Rome (as are some guys from NY and Chicago), and it makes me sad that most of the country equates Rome with good sports entertainment.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:23 PM

people still watch/listen to him? lame.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I live in an area (Boston) who happens to have rabid, biased sports announcers. But at least they are generally knowledgable and intertaining. WEEI sports talk radio is the #1 rated radio station among adult men in Boston. it is an AM station. pretty unbelievable, considering Boston is a well educated, upscale city, that a sports talk station is #1.

Everyone here grew up with the best sports newspaper in the country (Boston Globe). Guys like Gammons, Montville, McDonough et al have all gone/went national, and largely become the superstars of their field.

The point of all this? Boston sports announcers/writers are generally much better then national bozos like Rome (as are some guys from NY and Chicago), and it makes me sad that most of the country equates Rome with good sports entertainment.

[/ QUOTE ]

little east coast bias eh
Old 09-29-2005, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I catch the end of his show because he's on before Around The Horn.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

rj

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Rome has had a couple of forays being syndicated into Chicago radio, and bombed in spectacular fashion. Most recently he was forced upon the local ESPN radio station when he signed the deal with Bristol. He was shoehorned into a 2-hour slot as a tryout period and sunk miserably. I believe they're now replaying his show in an overnight slot.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

rj

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree his tv show is weak. But, I also listen to his 3 hour radio show most days (work from home + boring work = lotta radio + interweb).

He actually has some good interviews. For instance yesterday's with Keith Foulke (sp?). Pretty entertaining.

As far as his and his listener's 'takes', though, these are lame.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I catch the end of his show because he's on before Around The Horn.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is usually the case for me as well. plus he had chad johnson on today, and i <3 chad johnson. jim rome's version of "burning" is just getting mad about an issue and putting it down as much as possible. whether or not there are actually any legitimate reasons to do so.

rj
Old 09-29-2005, 05:57 PM

oh yea he is kinda lame btw

1. Around the Horn
2. PTI
3. 1st and 10
4. Jim Rome

thats how id rank those 4.