Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2005, 06:23 PM

Default Stealing the blinds in NLHE

In NLHE cash games, blind stealing is something that I'm really uncomfortable with (which would occur more often in a short handed game).

In NLHE a standard PFR is 4xBB (in a 1/2 blinds game, though, make it $10 just so you don't freak out the fish with $8 bets).

However, in LHE, you raise PF if you think that your hand is good maybe 50% of the time, depending on how much he'll reraise you and with what kinds of hands.

The problem with NLHE, is that:

1) If you make a standard pfr (4xbb) then he can afford to be much more patient when he makes his calls / raises.

2) If you make a minpfr (i.e. the same as a limit raise), then he can call with nearly anything in the BB when the stacks are deep, because he's got position and he's trying to hit a hand to double through you or at least do some serious damage.

So it becomes really tough...

Especially if you're trying to steal from the CO or something like that with KJ, and you know that people will flat call with a hand like AQ/AJ/77, whereas in limit they might reraise those hands to try to punish you for stealing.

The other thing is that if you start making your "stealing pfr" a minraise, then when you get AA on the button you have to minraise rather than standard raise! [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Anyways, I've been rolling this around in my head for a while now and I don't have too much academic knowledge, so it'd be neat to hear some opinions on blind stealing.

This is a topic (along with hand selection) that was completely ignored in ciaffone's book.

Maybe it's in S/S and I just haven't read it in there yet. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comments are appreciated.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:25 PM

Default Re: Stealing the blinds in NLHE

In NLHE cash games, blind stealing is something that I'm really uncomfortable with (which would occur more often in a short handed game).

Fine stick to full tables and ring games...youll be fine I promise. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-11-2005, 06:31 PM

Not really what I was looking for in terms of responses, but since your response to my lost post was great, I forgive you. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

--Dave.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:34 PM

Stealing pre-flop is like a semi-bluff kinda for me. I'm only doing it with hands that when they hit the flop, won't be dominated.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:44 PM

bump
Old 03-11-2005, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bump

[/ QUOTE ]

check-bump
Old 03-11-2005, 06:45 PM

3-bump.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:48 PM

Ya thats good...folded to me in CO or on button with 78s Im raising ...really pretty basic but good to remind people.

Not only can yu steal pre/post flop but IT DISGUISES THE HAND IMMENSLEY.

Am I stating the obvious here?? Well like I said lets hamer it into our brains.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:51 PM

"The other thing is that if you start making your "stealing pfr" a minraise, then when you get AA on the button you have to minraise rather than standard raise!"

I'm a firm believer in always betting the same amount. If I open, I generally open 4bb. If the table is particularly loose and I don't want so many callers, I will adjust that upwards. (for some reason, everyone will call $1 but not $1.25)

"Especially if you're trying to steal from the CO or something like that with KJ, and you know that people will flat call with a hand like AQ/AJ/77," If you get called, and you're uncertain of the strength of your hand, try to manage the size of the pot.

"then when you get AA on the button you have to minraise rather than standard raise!" Another reason to keep uniform raises.

BTW- I play $25NL full table... Blind stealing is overrated. I don't think of it as stealing. I think of it as, "I probably have a better hand then you." I don't try to steal blinds that much unless I know someone is real weak. There are two many calling stations defending their blinds that you might as well wait til you have a decent hand... they'll still defend their blinds and pay you off.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:01 PM

Most of these games are so loose that it is not important. If you look at the average pot size compared with the blind size, you will see why.

In short handed games this may be different. Certainly in heads up matches it is. Still most of the chips are likely to change on big pots rather than blind steals.

In holdem tournaments, NL, PL, or limit, at a certain point where the blinds become real big and better players are left, the whole game is about blind stealing.