Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2005, 06:19 PM

Default Small Stakes NL winrates really this high?

I've just recently started browsing this forum having spent most of my time playing 2/4 to 3/6 limit and reading the SS limit forum so excuse my newbie naivete. I was just reading another thread about winrates. A pretty good winrate at small stakes limit is 3BB/100. This blows me away that the typical winrates are 7-10 BB/100 at small stakes NL.

Why isn't everyone playing NL? This appears to be a goldmine!

What are typical standard deviations? My limit SD is 13-14 BB. I've been reading some of the older posts and it seems that some of the posters here claim that variance is actually lower in NL.

In the limit forum there is a "best of" thread with links to some great threads. Anybody have anything similar here? Looking for some good NL cash game fundamentals and guidelines.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:05 PM

Default Re: Small Stakes NL winrates really this high?

Just read everything I've ever posted and you should be well on your way. Sometimes I can't believe I'm not charging for this.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:33 PM

Ignore him.

For starters, you can check out the SSNL FAQ, V1.0

Also, there are a few good threads lately started by fimbulwinter, Lawrence Ng, and Kaz the Original. Search for those and you might find some good reading.

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know. There is great (and not-so-great) advice posted daily on this forum as well. Just lurk and whatnot to see how you feel about NL.

Oh, and most of the things you have read about NL are true.

- Trail
Old 03-10-2005, 07:42 PM

Search for 'favorites' in thread title or similar and you will find many threads about favorite threads. Also there are two threads by tdomeski called 'Retro' and 'Retro II' I believe that have links to good posts. A good idea is to pick a poster who is good (feel free to PM me for my views on who is good if you don't know anyone around here) and read a bunch of their posts.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Why isn't everyone playing NL? This appears to be a goldmine!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it's a goldmine and it's a lot of fun. The thing is, not many people know how to properly play it as it deviates highly from the standard structured limit game. Hand reading abilities and 2nd, 3rd level thinking capabilities are far more important in NL/PL than limit.

On a mental level, some people are not comfortable dropping their entire stack on 1 hand. Some people also believe that there's too much variance involved playing NL, which is not true.

The equivalent bankroll required to play NL higher than that at the limit level. However, say you were targetting an earn rate of $10/hr and could do so 2 tabling 2/4 limit. To earn the same $10/hr in NL you could probably play .50/1 provided you could sustain a 6-7 BB/100 2 tabling. For 2/4 limit you'd need about a $1200 bankroll, and for .50/1 you'd need about 20 buy-ins which is $2000 (or $1000 if you like to short-buy all the time).

[ QUOTE ]
I've been reading some of the older posts and it seems that some of the posters here claim that variance is actually lower in NL.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you earn a 7-10 BB/100 and have a SD of 13-14 BB, then your variance is lower with respect to your BB/100, not BB.

So yes, variance is lower.

Lawrence
Old 03-10-2005, 09:31 PM

Thanks for the FAQ link.

Are there enough LAGs to keep these NL games good? Seems like you're market would dry up quicker as they dump stack after stack.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:33 PM

In the small stakes games there are frequently zero people at the table that are actually solid players -- someone has to win at those tables, and those people will keep playing.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why isn't everyone playing NL?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because playing 3/6 NL is much, much more difficult than playing 3/6 limit.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:14 PM

There are not many LAG players in SS-NLHE (true also for limit), but in NLHE, aggressive play often pays off. These players don't lose there stacks as often as you might think because few people are willing to call 50-100 x bb with only TPTK. Those that do tend to be losers.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:47 PM

From what I'm reading, it sounds like it. But, also sounds like taking the time to learn will pay huge dividends.