Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: From which movie is this scene taken ?
PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE : Scene deleted by Ed Wood because it was too tacky 9 33.33%
WHEN DINOSAURS RULED THE EARTH : The dinosaurs are in session. (In disguise.) 7 25.93%
THE TERMINATOR : A cyborg nightmare 2 7.41%
WAR OF THE WORLDS : The Martians' Supreme Council 9 33.33%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-19-2005, 06:54 PM

Default Re: If you were me..............

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Do you like teaching? Also, if the poker goes well, do you think you would move up and go for year two?

Taking a leave from my job was an easy decision as it is unrewarding and has no benefits (independent contractor). I know a lot of teachers and, depending on the school system, their feelings about their careers range from love to hate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could use the time away.

[/ QUOTE ]

The summer isn't enough? Man, you teachers are a spoiled bunch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes we are.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:23 AM

Default I should also mention.........

.....that I have a 1000BB bankroll and 5 months living expenses set aside.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:39 PM

Default Re: I should also mention.........

[ QUOTE ]
.....that I have a 1000BB bankroll and 5 months living expenses set aside.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, this question is really simple the way you've posed it. What do you want to do?

You've got money put aside and apparently a gaurantee that your job is there when you get back. If it's something you want to try, do it. If you wonder if you should because you can, who cares what you should do?

No one can make this decision for you - it isn't an EV question, no matter how people want to put it. From what I know of Bob (only what he's written here), he can get from today until a year from now just fine. And in a year from now, he can go back to work.

What's the problem? You want to try it, go for it. Is it what you'll enjoy more? I can't answer that either.

If the only debate is "which would be more fun" then it seems like an easy question. Whichever you want.

ElSapo
Old 07-19-2005, 10:27 AM

Teach and play in your spare time. Keep trying to move up in limits. If you are successful in moving up you can still teach, make more than 76K from poker in your spare time and still have plenty of free time to do other things in life.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Teach and play in your spare time. Keep trying to move up in limits. If you are successful in moving up you can still teach, make more than 76K from poker in your spare time and still have plenty of free time to do other things in life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Max is wise.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems to me that you've got it fairly good as a teacher. With starting wages around 28k/yr here and fairly fierce job competition, I've decided to play poker instead. I agree with Max's reasoning -- I also think you'll like poker more if you don't have to play, and instead play when you want to.

Rob
Old 07-19-2005, 10:32 AM

Is this a longterm plan to play poker and quit teaching? Or just a sabbatical to do something you enjoy? At some profit point would you simply decide not to go back to teaching?

Is there something that would prevent you from delaying this a year? By then you should be at 10/20 with the potential to double your profits. (Which would make it much harder for me to go back to teaching)
Old 07-19-2005, 10:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this a longterm plan to play poker and quit teaching? Or just a sabbatical to do something you enjoy? At some profit point would you simply decide not to go back to teaching?

Is there something that would prevent you from delaying this a year? By then you should be at 10/20 with the potential to double your profits. (Which would make it much harder for me to go back to teaching)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just taking the year. If I turn into Bicyclekick and win 250K, then maybe I'd have to reevaluate. I assume I will eventually nmove to 10/20, but I am trying to be extremely conservative when assessing my potential earn so as to not delude myself.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:35 AM

I'm in a similiar boat. I'm quitting/sabatical teaching after this year. I do make much less than you at teaching.

We both have the summers off. How many hours have you put in so far? Can you sustain 35 hr weeks. I tried but it's a really big drain. I've decided to make my goal 30 hour weeks. I think you should never make professional poker estimates with more than 30 hr weeks. Rerun the numbers that way.

Also nobody ever considers the effect of getting better. As a prolific HUSH poster I imagine your hourly will increase substantially between now and June 2006. By then it won't even be close (and that's if it is close now).

I have one more thing working against me. I'm a computer science teacher and there aren't very many of us around. So my programs may just fall apart when I leave. I'd feel sad if that happened a little.

Just some ramblings.

Krishan
Old 07-19-2005, 10:47 AM

Good thoughts. One advantage I have is that I teach physics, and there just aren't that many of us around so I shouldn't have too much trouble getting another job if I chose to take more than a year.

I actually play about 30 hours/week now and I have a full-time summer job, so IMO 35 hrs isn't too big of a stretch. I am trying to account for the times when I'd rather eat glass than play, thus I have planned on taking off 7 weeks/year. The average working stiff grinds out 2000 hours/year. If I can't survive 1575, I should be shot.

I also hope I can improve. From what I read in HUSH, one has to be retarded not to beat 5/10 for more than 1.5bb/100 (I guess I'm retarded). Even if this is an exaggeration, IMO 1bb/100 is reasonable for me and likely on the low end of what I can expect. I hope.