Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2005, 12:40 AM

Default Re: Lets list them!

3. Deciding that my image credits me far more then my hand, not realizing that my opponent has noe clue about image.

This one is a killer if you combine it with the following:

#2.) Long, drawn-out, elaborate bluffs that almost never work. Sometimes I get attached, and I can't let go, I'll c-bet, then plug the turn with nothing, then there's so much in the potby the river that I try "one more", and it costs me a huge pot or my tournament.

#5.) Raising small bets with nothing.. you know the weird 20% of the pot bets that people make online.. I've found more often than not they want you to call and they just don't know what they're doing.

Then this last one I do... even though they often are just bluffing it can be costly to find out.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:13 AM

1) Identifying donkeys and calling stations, going card dead, and then trying to bluff the idiots with nothing when i get pissed at thier stack being 2x mine.

2) The "Dark tunnel bluff". Before bluffing lately i have been asking myself, "Is there anything on this board he could possibly be scared of to push him off his range?" More often than not the answer comes back 0...thus resulting in WAY less bluffs (i think my tourny results kind of mirror this in November).

3) Recognizing the players at my table that are WAY better than me and still playing hands out of position with them.

Tons more, but those are me biggest.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:42 AM

1 TILTing. This is easily my biggest leak. Especially when I was once a big stack in an MTT, but after 3 straight suckouts I'm down to average or below average. I'm prone to just giving up and playing recklessly when I still have enough chips to make a comeback.

2 Patience. Another reason I don't do as well in MTT's as I should be. Sometimes I don't get a playable hand in a few orbits, so I get bored, and decide to make a "creative" raise UTG+1 with something like Q-5s...

3 Over-stealing, especially against a short-stack. Shorter stacks are looking to double up, and don't need much to call, but sometimes I'll ignore this and put them all-in with any two (this is a sound play if they are in the "dead zone and have literally nothing left, but I often mis-use it when they're still in high-red zone).

4 Trying to pick off bluffs too much at times, especially over-bets. When it works I look like a genius (I once called a big all-in with K-3off on board of A-8-7-8-A, putting my opponent on a busted straight/flush draw based on the betting patterns, which he did have). But sometimes tricky players are capable of checking a flopped monster two or three times, then overbetting on the end. If I have anything at all I tend to call.

Probably many more, which I can't think of right now.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
4. Taking aproximately 0,2 seconds to decide upon action that is devoting my entire stack.

[/ QUOTE ]
This has been my undoing so many freaking times. I wonder how much money I have missed out on by tubro jamming with the worst of it and not stopping to think.

Maybe in 2006.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:07 AM

Do you really find those small bets represent a solid hand.

I have found that selectively raising these stupid bet amounts with air 3x or 4x to be highly profitable.

I'm going to start paying more attention. Perhaps I have
a selective memory. On the flip side they don't have to
work that often to be profitable either.

Bruce
Old 12-02-2005, 04:19 AM

1. Ego. Attributing metaphysical significance to session outcomes. Which leads to

2. Tilt. Feeling victimized and furious on consecutive hands when my flush draw doesn't come and then my opponent's does. Completely illogical.

3. Listlessness. Lacking the disciple and fortitude to systemetize and operationalize what I learn from books and 2+2 Forum. Instead, read a few chapters, hop on-line and wing it.

4. Profligacy. Not realizing until it's over that I just bet 40% of my stack for information.

5. Absentmindedness. I just re-raised over the top against a rock. Maybe I should have checked my notes on him first.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:34 AM

When my read on someone makes a play obviously correct and my hand makes the opposite play obviously correct if I had no reads, I tend to just ignore reads. Fake example: I have KK with ~25 BBs and raise 3x BB preflop. Super tight BB who covers calls. Flop is AAx. Super tight BB checks, Noah 5 BBs, BB pushes, Noah calls.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:54 AM

1. Putting my opponent on a hand I can beat, rather than a hand he might actually have. ("His pre-flop raise MUST be AK, so with that flop my pocket sixes are good.")

2. Never using my time bank.

3. Trying to blast a calling station out of a hand.

4. Playing like a little girl when other players are min-betting. Raise you fool!
Old 12-02-2005, 11:03 AM

1. Not following my read that the opponent has me beat, and continuing to call big bets on all 3 streets. (it especially hurts when you put him on the exact cards)
2. Calling big bets on the river out of curiousity, and not wanting to be run over.
3. Bluffing in the wrong spots.
4. Playing too many hands from EP
5. Acting too quickly