Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2005, 03:08 PM

Default Heads-up with Donk

Only about 100 hands on the villain, over which he had something like a 58% VP$IP and a relatively tight WSD. His PFR and AF were nothing special, neither passive nor aggressive. Only one table read . . . I raised with AQ and he called in the BB. HU for an AQ6 flop. He check-raised me with 64s and puts in another 3 BB before showdown. I believe the turn completed a flush draw and the river gave me aces full, so the guy is pretty damn bad. I had intended to fold the turn if he kept betting, and will check the river if he calls.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (5 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>

Scott

edit: I can't let go against this player just because of a flop bet, so my question is more along the lines of does anyone prefer to raise the flop.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:29 PM

Default Re: Heads-up with Donk

with the c/r on the A,Q hand and bet-out on flop here, I read this as a fairly common type of 1/2 player who often attempts to take control of the hand on the flop hoping to get better hands to fold. Therefore a raise by you on this flop would be a good line.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:06 PM

Raise the flop. The benefits are that you are likely ahead, so you're getting more money in and blowing him off a bluff which likely has 6 outs against you. The problem is that you may be way behind, and given his action on the AQ hand, he can go nutty with just about any hand, so I'm not sure how safe you'd feel folding to more aggression from him.

You also have to balance that one table read against a light read of him not going to SD much. All that being said, I think raising the flop is the way to go. You're probably ahead, he is probably an idiot, go to town.

But lately I've been a super-aggro donk who never gives anyone credit. FWIW.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you are likely ahead, so you're getting more money in and blowing him off a bluff which likely has 6 outs against you

[/ QUOTE ]

With the pot size what it was, he pretty much would've been correct to call a flop raise and likely would have, so that line doesn't create much opportunity for mistakes. However, calling a turn bet with 6 outs at 4.5-1 is definitely a mistake. Not that I analyzed the hand this specifically in the moment, but that's my argument now [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img].

Scott
Old 06-21-2005, 04:20 PM

I raise this flop every time.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With the pot size what it was, he pretty much would've been correct to call a flop raise and likely would have, so that line doesn't create much opportunity for mistakes. However, calling a turn bet with 6 outs at 4.5-1 is definitely a mistake. Not that I analyzed the hand this specifically in the moment, but that's my argument now

[/ QUOTE ]
So instead of him paying you an extra SB - although he may have just given up, who knows - and then folding the turn since he's only getting 6.5:1, you just thought you'd let him get away light?
Old 06-21-2005, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
With the pot size what it was, he pretty much would've been correct to call a flop raise and likely would have, so that line doesn't create much opportunity for mistakes. However, calling a turn bet with 6 outs at 4.5-1 is definitely a mistake. Not that I analyzed the hand this specifically in the moment, but that's my argument now

[/ QUOTE ]
So instead of him paying you an extra SB - although he may have just given up, who knows - and then folding the turn since he's only getting 6.5:1, you just thought you'd let him get away light?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well frequently he follows through on the turn as a bluff thinking you took one off with AK and now might fold. So then you get to raise the turn. In spots like this I usually call flop and raise turn with 66 or A9 or A7, basically any bluff beating hand.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:33 PM

Oh, duh, right, I'm an idiot. Just kept thinking he would check the turn.

Also, if he calls turn I check behind on river. One of the "only better hands call/raise, worse hands fold" things, right?

Incidentally, the other night I had one of those... bet my Ax on the river of a KQ552 board where nobody had shown any interest in the pot at all. I knew it was wrong right after I hit bet, since I was looking to chop at best. I get called in one place... and take it down. I can't imagine what he called with (Abso doesn't have instant hand histories), but I've been more careful about that type of thing since.

EDIT: Hijack!
Old 06-21-2005, 04:49 PM

Also, if he calls turn I check behind on river. One of the "only better hands call/raise, worse hands fold" things, right?

Yeah I think so. Although you will get calls from some worse hands, I doubt you're ahead over 50% of the time.

Incidentally, the other night I had one of those... bet my Ax on the river of a KQ552 board where nobody had shown any interest in the pot at all. I knew it was wrong right after I hit bet, since I was looking to chop at best. I get called in one place... and take it down. I can't imagine what he called with

Well today I check-called a river bet against a pretty laggro opponent with A6o on a board which I had no piece of and lost to AJo which he had no piece of. I left like a fish. But anyway maybe something like that happened.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:19 PM

Kickers to the A didn't play [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] He had, at best, J-high.