Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 03:07 AM

Default Trying to find my profitable hands on Wilson Software V.6

I'm really trying to find where the tweaks are in my game, I'm going to find out which starting hands of mine are profitable. Inside the Wilson program, there's a starting hand analyzer. I guess it's sort of like the one they have in poker tracker but it doesn't show how you do in various positions. It should tell me which of my hands are going to be profitable in the long run and which aren't. Is there anyone out there that can help me find out my profitable hands better and how should I set up the game? Right now I'm doing 2-4 limit w various people coming in 8 handed and changing the line up. The rake is just like online. Thankyou!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 10-14-2005, 04:54 AM

Default Re: Trying to find my profitable hands on Wilson Software V.6

I am assuming you know how to set up and run SIMs on TTHE?

To look at hand values in the various positions I set up a fixed/repeatable deal of 1 million hands - that is each 1 million hands followed precisely the same card sequence.

Choose your table carefully - I ran SIMs only against tables with identical players. For example, all Adv.6 on a 6-handed table for a TAG SIM, and all the same LP players plus Adv.6 (the players representing correct play).

Fix the pockets you are looking at (e.g. 76s, exact suits do not matter here). Then to look at each position for these specific hands, fix button for each 1 million hand SIM, and run successive SIMs with the button moved one position each time until you have covered all positions i.e. you need to run 10 SIMs with each hand, one for each position on the table.

It is important that all 9 opponents are identical, otherwise you bias the positional results. I suggest you always use the recommended Advisor (for the number of players) as the "control" or result-generator.

Take each figure for total profitability and put them into a spreadsheet to produce a graph by hand/position. You are better looking for trends here, rather than absolute values and there are too many variables/unknowns to rely on specific results.

It takes time but the results can be interesting. Expect some marginal hands to deviate from accepted forum wisdom. This will be in part due to the way the software works (which we can never be totally reliant upon) and partly due to the fact that these hands do work better for some players/opponents than others. Such variation in player type/playing style would take a lot of work in TTHE to produce anything of substance, and may not be applicable due to said software glitches.

One of the most valuable things you will get from this exercise is not necessarily determining which hands are profitable, but an appreciation of how hand values are affected by position (and this will be different for different hand types) and by table conditions. The player types you face make a big difference to marginal hands. Also look to see how the blinds affect many hands.

You will have to work out for yourself what the post-flop implications are.