Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2005, 10:19 AM

Default Re: Play a Foxwoods hand with me

[ QUOTE ]
i wouldve raised this pre, but since you didnt and now looked at the flop 6way i am not calling 1K OOP there.

considering that you made it to the turn i check it...
if he underbets, i would checkcall if he has you covered and checkraise allin if you cover him.
if he bets pot or more, muck quick and wonder why i called the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could raise preflop, but completing is more standard. It is generally not good to raise with marginal hands from the blinds. Raise only with big hands, and maybe with suited gappers or something if you need to disguise the blinds raise with big hands.

I am not sure what approach to take after the flop. However, TPNK is not much in a 5-way pot. You may well have the best hand both preflop and on the flop, but this is not easy to play.

I think you have to consider reads on opponents. This early, would people have limped with A7(s)-A2(s)? Would they have limped with AJ-AQ or AA? Aside from an ace, you have to be concerned about 99, 88, and 98s. JTs gives a draw.

I haven't played in $10K tournaments, but my understanding is these days there are a lot of loose fish early on, just like in the tournaments I play in. I would be looking to play speculative hands and try to get action when I flopped something big. I would be cautious with TPNK, because when you get action, it is hard to tell if someone is overplaying or has you beat.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:31 AM

Posting this without reading other responses first. I'd really like this flop, but I may have the best hand at this point. I'll bet 1000 to try to get anyone with flush or straight draws to fold. Assuming no reads, if I'm raised then I'll fold. If I'm called by one person, I'll take another shot at it on the turn. If I'm called by multiple people, I'll probably check/fold, unless the turn card helps me.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:02 PM

I like checking here. You likely have the best top pair hand but with so many people in the pot you can easily be behind a set or two pair. I would call a single bet. I'd fold to a bet and a raise. I could see myself leading the turn or check-calling depending on the card and who I'm up against. If it's UTG who bets the flop I'd be a little more cautious then if it's a LP possible stealer.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:06 PM

I'd check the turn here with the intention of calling a reasonably sized bet. I'm not quite sure I've got the best hand. It's possible, and I certainly have a good draw. I think check-calling both the flop and turn *could* be representing a set or two pair so unless the villain has AA, KK, AK he's probably at least somewhat concerned he's behind. I don't like leading out the turn here because I want to keep the pot as small as possible and not face a raise.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:15 PM

I forgot about diamonds; I check call again.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:24 PM

I don't like seeing a flop with 4 limpers with this hand out of position.

I think you can pick up this pot preflop with a nice healthy raise. I also think a raise here makes the hand easier to play postlfop.

But given that you completed, I check and call a reasonable bet.

You can check-raise a lot of turn cards too: any 7, any J, any diamond, and of course a T.

If it is checked around, I DO NOT bet the turn, I check-raise it as someone will bet it for sure. If no one bets I lead the river.

-Scott
Old 11-18-2005, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, I decided to check and see the action, with the intention of calling a bet. UTG bet 1k and folded to you. I decided to call and BB folded. Now heads up to the turn, pot is about 3.4k and UTG started the hand with about 10k.

Turn card is K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Now, what is the plan?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I checked again the turn, and he bet only 1k, so I decided to call the 1k with my pair and nut flush draw. Now the pot is about 5.4k.

The river card was 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I checked and he bet 3k, do you call?
Old 11-18-2005, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The river card was 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I checked and he bet 3k, do you call?

[/ QUOTE ]
hell no.

if i was gonna call that, ida beat him to it and bet it myself.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:12 PM

With this flop, I will begin by assuming I have the best hand.

I have a few problems. I am out of position, I really have no information about the strength of my opponents hands, the board is just coordinated enough that I hate giving away free cards.

The pot is 1200, which is just big enough to go after, but not big enough that I am throwing caution to the wind, and betting out big.

Can I keep the pot small? If I check call a single 3/4 pot flop bet, and a 1/2 turn bet, there would be a 6K pot on the river, with me having about double that behind, so a small pot is unlikely (especially since I really will struggle to have any control OOP).

So, forget pot control. A check raise on the flop is an option, but I could really need to commit a lot of chips to get JT, T7 off their hands. I dont like the risk/reward there.

By default, I am leading at this pot. Having sworn off 'feeler' bets, I am leading for 600-1200 here. If I am raised, I am done. I I get called by 1 player, it will depend on his image. If I am called by more than 1, I am done unless something changes.

Play on the turn is very player dependent if I am against a single opponent.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hell no.

if i was gonna call that, ida beat him to it and bet it myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't think you split the pot enough against a "weird" opponent to call? It's very close.