Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Is Madonna hot?
Yes, shes smokin' 21 28.38%
No, not at all 27 36.49%
She'd be okay if I was drunk 26 35.14%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-28-2005, 10:08 AM

Default Would a good winning 2/4 player stand a chance at 15/30

Would a good winning 2/4 player stand a chance at 15/30?
Let's say the player is 2.5BB/100 at 2/4.
He is a smart 16/9/2-2,5 player.

Please answer only if u played 15/30.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:48 AM

Default Re: Would a good winning 2/4 player stand a chance at 15/30

It all depends on how he copes with the tighter/more aggressive tables, you can't really say unless you know whether he's making the proper adjustments.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:51 AM

With a VPIP that low, you will get crushed at 15-30 because of the aggressiveness. it takes a while to adapt to the better players, and they won't give you action if you ultra tight. You have to learn to call down more with marginal holdings, and overall it's just a much more difficult game. Although i voted that you would have no chance, it's possible you could break even or only lose a little, but 2.5 bb/100 at 2-4 is pretty meaningless at 15-30. I don't know exactly what my winrate was at 2-4 for my breif stay there, but it was definitly higher then 2.5 bb/100 and i made a good transition to the 5-10 6 max. i would give that a shot if you are looking to move up.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:57 AM

Also, if your considering the 15/30 then you should definetly go to the 3/6 first, since you must have the bankroll for that and it will give you a better idea.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:57 AM

Your question is vague.
How many hands would Hero play before he decided to retreat?

The 15/30 game is very loose aggressive. The stats quoted seem a little too tight for the game to me. There would certainly be a big learning curve in the game, and when you are talking about a game where 100BB swings are the norm, and bigger swings quite common, it would be very hard to take one shot and hit.

If said player decided to take say 500BB and give the game try, I think he would have good chances to succeed provided he started at one or two tables and posted a lot of hands. There are going to be a lot of challenges, though, not the least of which is playing for 7.5 times the stakes he is used to.

If the question is: "If a player is a winning 2/4 player, are the chances good that he can move up the ladder to the 15/30 game and be successful there, too?" I think the answer is yes. Working up to the 15/30 game is clearly the way to go IMO, and the progression is not rough from what I have seen.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:58 AM

Can we just ban these type of posts? How the hell are we supposed to answer a question like this?

A smart player who studies the game and constantly tries to improve should have no problem beating the 15/30 game in the long run. There may be along adjustment period or the player may get lucky and run good when they first take a shot at it. Who knows?

One thing for sure, there is a noticable difference between these games (Just ask Bicyclekick) and whenever you move up you are probably going to need to improve to continue to succeed.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:11 AM

Anyone has a good chance of beating most any game if they have a fundamental understanding of game theory and poker strategies...and can adjust accordingly, based on ante/blind structure and opponents play. If you are considering moving up...do so gradually. Play $3/$6, $5/$10, $10/$20...then $15/$30. Each of those levels play differently. I personally think $3/$6 plays closer to $15/$30 (i.e. they are both loose/aggressive but 15/30 has better LAG's) than $5/$10 (weak/tight)...but each level will teach something.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can we just ban these type of posts? How the hell are we supposed to answer a question like this?

[/ QUOTE ]
Can we ban posts that say to ban posts? I don't care for posters who feel they own the forum. The poster came here for advice...not to be banned.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Can we ban posts that say to ban posts? I don't care for posters who feel they own the forum. The poster came here for advice...not to be banned.

[/ QUOTE ]

awesome
Old 04-28-2005, 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]